how does your mopar size up to brandx...????

-

turbofreek

batcrap crazy racing team
Reaction score
So from another highjacked build thread i was trying to keep up with. I get this notion that many believe mopars are the end all to performance engines. That nothing can touch a mopar engine of any kind(of course excluding the elephant in the room, lol).

So truly how does your small block and wedge big block compare to the likes of the ls and chevy, the mod motors, the big block chevies etc...???

Being the heads up racer i am wanting to be. I watch and read rules based on classes id like to run. One thing i notice is the breaks all mopars get or help with rules they get now a days.
For instance. There is a heads up class called x275 and ultra street. Both similar rule types small tire power adder etc....
Big block mopars are allowed nitrous when the chevy and fords are not. Interesting to me why this is so. For a while i just thought it was to bring mopars out to play. Then i got to see the few badass mopars that did make the call. One has predator heads and spray(?) but is down to .20 or so of the top runners. He is a member here and i absolutely love his dart. I drool over it every time i see a pic posted of it.

my question is this...do you guys honestly believe a wedge engine or w headed sbc is really a match for the other brandx stuff? Are you just to proud to be honest about the mopar deficiency for aftermarket stuff? Do you just want to ride off into the sunset of the 50 hears ago hemi success that was? Do you just like to say "hemi" and discussion over?
I mean i get it. The hemi is a bad sum ***** clearly. Yet its out of most peoples price range. It dont fit in **** but b bodies and chassis cars without making modifications of some sort.

So can we discuss everything but the hemi chest thump??

Personally I don't care how fast they are, or can be made to be as there are plenty of brandX cars that can be bought that are faster.
I like the fact that they are harder to find for one, so not everyone can just run down to a dealer and buy one.
And I like that it is guaranteed that you would not find another car like mine ANYWHERE.
It truly is one of one, and no amount of money can change that, and that is worth more to me than fast.

I like ANY older American made car or truck. I don't care what it is.

Historically, it's been just the opposite.

Mopars have been handicapped by sanctioning body rules.

I'm not up on current stuff, but something sounds fishy.

I got into Mopars back in '69 because they were "the odd man out". Around here if you ran a Mopar you were a "wanted man". Every Chevy, Ford and Pontiac wanted a piece of you. My problem was that you couldn't do anything to your brand X car that 20 people hadn't done before you. There wasn't any originality. Driving a Mopar made you a standout. Winning in a Mopar made you a local celebrity. Winning consistently made you almost a local legend. The wins may not have been as often but they sure were sweeter!

I like ANY older American made car or truck. I don't care what it is.

:D Two of my all time favorites was a 66 Falcon with a 300cu 6 cylinder, and my 66 ranchero (also a 300-6)
The fastest car I have ever owned was a 69 RR with the HP440.

Mopars have always been at the top of my list though, and the current Dart has been one of the most reliable American cars I have ever owned.

This body paint is factory and never been painted over. (it does need some work though)

Attachments

• dart1a.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 336
I will say one thing regarding racing.

My stock, but well prepped poly 318 2 barrel NEVER lost a street race to a gm 350.

NEVER.

I believe some of the old heads I knew back then told me Mopars were cheap performance. For instance I was talking about my 70 Swinger 340 to an older Ford guy who was in his early twenties in 1970 and he told me something along the lines of " I remember those cars, they were fast right out of the box. You could buy them new and not do a thing to them and they were fast" Now, I know the stock 14 inch tires wouldn't grip, but you know what I mean, if the car hooked up in stock form, it was gone in a street race.

You know, one thing I notice is that most everyone takes for granted that a certain engine, cam, gears or accesories makes a car fast.
But if it runs like crap because they didn't know how to tune anything that makes all the difference.
It seems like that would be obvious, but I have beat some supposedly faster cars with cars that shouldn't have won.

That being said, I'm sure there are some cars out there with 318's, 340's and 360's that would stomp some hemi cars.
I see and hear cars all the time that run like crap and the owner thinks he's got a bada** car because it sounds mean from what is actually a cylinder miss.

This is also what makes it so hard to diagnose an engine problem over the internet, because for all we know it's actually only running on 5 cylinders when someone says they have an idle problem.

Now i will say i own a mopar aka a dart because i love the look. Since i was a kid it has been my dream car. It took me many brandx cars before i got my mopar. I have always been different. I am a strange or weird character as a person. I married a foreigner. Everything i have done has been off kilter. I believe my newgen hemi is gonna be the end all be all engine when im done. However i am not nieve enough to know. i have a huge obstical to over come called penny peices for a million customers of the brandx moto. I also know.....this ***** wont have a twin at any event i go to. Probably wont even be another mopar present. That i can live with.....so happily. If i am not to be the fastest....yet i want to be.

Why do so many mopar guys never build to go much faster than basically stock 70s ets on slicks? One things the asperations of history would make one want to step up and keep the title in todays racing. Yet i just dont see it.

Oh and since you brought up "wedge" almost every single Chevy small block made from 55-86 and beyond was a wedge engine. So were the small block Fords and lots of other makes as well. Chrysler just decided to use it as a marketing gimmick.

Oh and since you brought up "wedge" almost every single Chevy small block made from 55-86 and beyond was a wedge engine. So were the small block Fords and lots of other makes as well. Chrysler just decided to use it as a marketing gimmick.

I brought the word wedge cuz i didnt want to see hemi chest thumping and high fiving. We all know the combustion chambers are about the same.

how does my slant six hold up?

the other day I was at a traffic light, one turning lane and 2 lanes going straight
I was turning to the left and the first car in the turning lane, several cars in the other lanes
the light turns green and I wait for a break in traffic to turn
after about 30 seconds of waiting I hear a car honk, so I look over to my right
the first car in the right hand straight lane was still there, too busy checking out the duster to notice the light had changed

good luck catching that kind of attention in a cookie cutter

I brought the word wedge cuz i didnt want to see hemi chest thumping and high fiving. We all know the combustion chambers are about the same.

Not really. Almost ANY 350 Chevy head is a quench head. Most all the small block Mopars are not.

Chevy chamber first, then Mopar.

Attachments

• CHEVY CHAMBER.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 360 MOPAR.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 305
Your top pic is a small chamber closed chamber 305 or less sbc head. They have open chambered heads just like the lower pic. Dont play this details bs. Its still the same ******* design basiclly. Not much different but slights from one to the other. All to promote swirl and better efficiency in the combustion chambers. Neither are canted and the valves are inline to another. Tomato tamatoe

I will say one thing regarding racing.

My stock, but well prepped poly 318 2 barrel NEVER lost a street race to a gm 350.

NEVER.
No reason why Polys can't perform well........or look good!

Attachments

• mmo1220115.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 276
Thread taken off course in the first page. Shear awesomeness. Now i know why we all have mopars...we are just batshit crazy. That is why.

what does it matter. Chevy people like Chevy, Ford like Ford, and Mopar like Mopar. Nothing wrong with people being a little purist. Go ask a Chevy guy running an LS motor to stick a modern 6.1 Hemi motor in, and watch them laugh.
Same with a Ford. Show up at a Ford gathering with a Chevy powered Mustang, you think he won't catch some flack.
Its not that we being Mopar enthusiasts hate other brands(well some do), it's we chose Mopar and thats the car/motor of choice we like for our own reasons.

Expand the topic and stretch your brandx base into the diesel segment, and there's a war. And it doesn't matter what brandx you choose, they're all expensive, so cost factor isn't into that equation.

-
Back