How excited do you get about racing ??

-
It wasn’t meant to be. This is the way it has evolved for me, if there’s obstacles every way I turn, I heed the message something is trying to tell me. I go the least resistance.

That’s how I’ve learned to look at it. I bought this truck (2006) in 2010 with around 63,000 miles on it. I think it now has around 90,000 miles on it. So you can see it gets used for almost towing only. My son probably put a couple thousand miles on it driving to work when his car broke down. It quit on me around 5 years ago half way home from keystone and the battery cables were corroded under the casing. My son came and towed my trailer home and the truck was towed to get two batteries and all new cables. My son now lives 4-5 hours away in Ohio so if it happened now I would have been screwed. So at least I can say I’m glad it happened in my driveway. I hate working on this truck but I’m going to have to step up maintenance on it.

PBR get a volt meter out and see if the voltage changes between the post, cable and most important the BATTERY BOLT!
It hides corrosion in there and can cause the alt to over charge one battery while no charge going to the other one. It's a some what common problem. If the voltage changes on the bolt, pull it out and clean it with a wire wheel.

I enjoy racing immensely

Unless it's electric cars. E-racing? Yawn

PBR get a volt meter out and see if the voltage changes between the post, cable and most important the BATTERY BOLT!
It hides corrosion in there and can cause the alt to over charge one battery while no charge going to the other one. It's a some what common problem. If the voltage changes on the bolt, pull it out and clean it with a wire wheel.

No bolt as these have regular battery terminals. But I will probe around after I get fresh batteries. Looks like weather in the 60’s tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm a old man now but still get the jitters after the first run of the season.....even if i haven't changed a thing.
when i smoked, i was a pack a day kinda guy. But yes i have at least 5 packs for a 2 day race.
I started racing at 16 with a 318 200000+ car and wasn't worried at all about the eng or transmission, but had 3 third members and 3 alt in the trunk:rofl:
Yeah my mom and dad had forbidden me from racing my car, so i would, have sleep over at my buddy house when there was a race. always took the chalk number of the windshield before i left the track, so i didn't have any problems with red and blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror.
When i turned 18 and moved out i broke the news to my family that this is what i'm doing.
later on my older brother took my mom out to a race i was in. She didn't injoy her self but put on a face for me.:)

You can go all winter long not talking to your racing buddy and the first race it's like it was yesterday.

When i get to old to be able to hold that brake peddle on the starting line............well i will have to brake down and buy me a tranc brake,.... that why they make them, Right!:D

Come on, since WHEN is there an age limit (too young/too old!?!)...nadda! My Dad warned me about the addicitive nature of playing with hot rods even though he never raced. The first time I went to a dragstrip, it was beyond cool and 2 yrs later my first trip down the track was like somebody had given me something no drug can ever replace...at least not for me. It's been a few years since I've been to the track and saying I miss it is incomprehensible. For me, I have to be involved; in the support crew, owner, wrench or the glory seat, it matters not...I JUST NEED to be involved. Years ago I was one of the better drivers but like so many, I lacked the capitol/funds to get deeply involved so for me it was basically a dream, hopefully not a wet one either?! However, that did not change (nor has it changed) over the last 5 decades as like so many, I still get that 'spark' when I'm around an open-header car or at the local track hearing that raw horsepower in the staging lanes...hmm!!!

No matter how old you are the feeling never goes away. I guess I'm just a Drag Race junky.When the wife's not home, I put on You Tube and crank up the volume for my fix.Love watching the old Gassers.Maybe I'll join them someday.

^^^^^^^^^ I'm right with you guys. Making my 63 into just a street cruiser.
In the process of installing A/C and Heat.

No street car stuff for this guy. I’m in Facebook jail enough and I don’t think I would like real jail. I know myself well enough to know I would use said power and I already got away with street racing 5-7 nights a week for five plus years. I consider myself lucky.

No street car stuff for this guy. I’m in Facebook jail enough and I don’t think I would like real jail. I know myself well enough to know I would use said power and I already got away with street racing 5-7 nights a week for five plus years. I consider myself lucky.
That's a great point, I've been to jail more times than I want to mention (double digits). It isn't a good place to be when your not a bad guy.
I could get in trouble with my ram 2500 if I wanted to get in trouble.

I'd love to start back racing again. It's been way too long. Unfortunately, the closest track is about twenty minutes away (not bad) but it's 1/8 mile (not terrible) but it's known as the "Native Nationals" because all the bad element from Macon always ruins every weekend race with shootings or stabbings or the like so we don't go there. The next closest is in Reynolds, Georgia and is a nice NHRA 1/4 track, but it's just too far. I'm pretty happy where I am though. I like just cruising around in Vixen. It's a lot of fun. Maybe if one day they clean up the Native Nationals we might do something there, but I ain't holdin my breath.

I'm excited...waiting in the pits right now!!

So far, the car is doing its job. Set a new mph high point at 115.9. We'll see if ole dummy can do right in the 1st round.

20220828_103620.jpg

I love racing and still get excited to go racing, but my dedication has fallen off. I won't lay under my car till 4am like I did in my younger days. I won't go out in 100+ Temps. If my local track was still open I would go alot more. Every year I say I'm going to make every race this year and do points. It just never happens. Usually 3 to 4 races is it.

Very excited to get back into racing after 1.5 years off waiting on parts and putting the new stuff in the car.
Drove 2 hours to a race yesterday and red lit in the 2nd round, but I had a lot of fun and the car is running consistent again.
Got home at 3am this morning, but I am retired now so not a problem. I will race every weekend if I can find enough bracket races within 2 hours of me.

I’ll be heading out Thursday for a 200 mile trip to Norwalk. 15,000.00 Friday, 40,000.00 Saturday, and 20,000.00 Sunday. I haven’t seen my son for 2-3 months so I told him he can race my duster any day but Saturday. I want my chance at the 40,000.00. His girlfriend and her father will be racing there too. I’m looking forward to seeing Matt race and it will give me a chance to take some video. He has to work Friday so if he drives it will be Sunday.

Very excited to get back into racing after 1.5 years off waiting on parts and putting the new stuff in the car.
Drove 2 hours to a race yesterday and red lit in the 2nd round, but I had a lot of fun and the car is running consistent again.
Got home at 3am this morning, but I am retired now so not a problem. I will race every weekend if I can find enough bracket races within 2 hours of me.
Love it!! Hope to be in those shoes someday!!

Just reading your posts is getting me excited !!
I am almost done with the entire drive train on my 70 Dart. Everything is new or rebuilt.

Late 91 360 Magnum
Stock:
Block
Rods
Crank
Heads

Knock off air gap
MP dizzy set at 34 total, all in by 2500
750 vac sec Holley, light vac spring, 50cc pump diaphragm
Cam: Back door Crane I got 10 yrs ago , I degreed it was right on the money advertised specs
Lift exh 512
Duration 286
Lift 498 int
Duration 274
113.5 LSA ( high lsa for nitrous and smoothness)
Hughes valve springs , retainers, locks
904 tranny, built by SGBARRACUDA (RIP)
3500 BM Holeshot Converter
Reverse manual valve body
Deep trans pan
Huge trans cooler
8 3/4 axle 742 case sure grip 3.91 by Roy
Pirate Jack rear disc brakes
1.03 PST torsion bars
Offset upper control arms bushings
Factory sway bar with kh discs
3 radiator cooling fans
Holley red pump
Dougs D453 1 5/8 tubes
Borla stainless 3 inch mufflers
Msd 6al
MSD 8683, dash adjustable timing up to 15 degrees
PLUS a 200 shot of nitrous
I'm using 200 on stock internals to prove a point

I hoping after tuning to run in the 11s

After I saw the u tube stock magnum Dyno at 300 and went to 370 with a mild cam I figured 370 plus a 200 shot -+- 550 hp

I wanted to be back this summer one more time with my Duster E/Stock but bad knee and my last big job pushed it til next spring. We’ll see if I can run with the big boys, if not it’ll be one heck of a street car-bracket car.

LMAO!!! :usflag:

Same here.Just a thrill to line up and make a pass.

This. Haven't been in the beams in a real fast car for quite some time. Closest track to me closed doors in 2010, and Wild Horse Pass is now closing early '23 which sucks. So the only track left is Tucson Dragway for 2+hour tow. That tow isn't a big deal for many, but I'm not excited about it being the only real track in-State. There are No Prep events at Gila Bend and Show Low, but I have no real interest in the No Prep stuff. Way too much to lose to be messing around on the streets again, so that definitely not happening. Taking the car out to get my license again next month, so I'm looking forward that. The way my luck runs as soon as I pay NHRA for that the track in Tucson will announce its closure LOL.

-
Back