How far in the hole 318 pistons

-
Well rename it the 318 slant 6 forum then:)
The forums name is for A bodies. The forum this thread is in is "Small Block Mopar Engine" which is what we are talking about. If you don't like the 318 discussion here you are free to check out a 340 thread.

They are all passionate about whatever is under the hood, and if you're smart, you will respect that.
Yeah I'm good my mistake is and has always been getting involved in discussions here. Ill just stick with the classifieds LOL!

How about searching out an '89 - '91 roller 318, or the earlier '86 - '88 roller 318?

The generation of 318 Roller Cam engines all came with the flat top pistons .040 ths down in the hole at 9.2:1 c.r. stock without even having to touch them.

With the factory 302 Closed Chamber heads with the large push rod holes, because the roller lifters sit higher and the pushrods need more room to swing in the heads.

Thin Mr. Gasket 1121 head gaskets at .028 ths compressed are available also.
I've never measured "down in the hole" height, but my favorite combination is a 1968 or 1969 shortblock, which had an advertised CR of 9.25:1 with open chamber heads, floating pins, and lighter weight rods than 71 up teens. Add a pair of the 302 casting heads, or a pair of 1967 273 or 318 heads, either one is closed chamber, although the 67s are a few CCs smaller chamber. Port match the heads to as close to a 340 intake gasket as prudently possible, blending in about an inch and a half. Put a cam that is reasonable for the car weight, gearing, and intended use in it. Top it with a decent intake and either 68 to 70 340 manifolds, 95 and up Magnum manifolds, or a set of headers. The 95 and later Magnum manifolds are slightly larger than the earlier Magnum manifolds, and have larger outlets. Timing might need to be conservative for 89 octane, but dialing in the amount and rate of both vacuum and mechanical advance will get you there. These engines really wake up with some compression, more so in my opinion than flow. We put together a similar combination for a friend's 86 M body Gran Fury. This friend had owned more than a dozen 340 A bodies over the years, and his exact words were "that damn thing is amazing! It runs as strong as any 340 car I've ever owned"

The forums name is for A bodies. The forum this thread is in is "Small Block Mopar Engine" which is what we are talking about. If you don't like the 318 discussion here you are free to check out a 340 thread.
All he likes to do is troll, start 318 strawman arguments and if there's no active 318 thread he'll dig some up lol, then play victim when people argue back.

As for being /6,273,318 forum, my guess 80-90% of A Bodies came with these engines.

This probably won't be much help to you as this motor had been apart a couple of times with a 0.040" overbore, but on my 1973 casting 318 the pistons were about 0.070" in the hole. The block had been decked before but I don't know how much was taken off. Factory pistons could of had a higher or lower compression height than the replacement pistons that were in it when I pulled it down. Also maybe worth noting is that the "fireball" 318s were supposed to have slightly taller pistons in them.
I would be pulling a head off to check for sure, but if I was going through the trouble of a roller cam swap I would definitely be swapping out the factory pistons.

This probably won't be much help to you as this motor had been apart a couple of times with a 0.040" overbore, but on my 1973 casting 318 the pistons were about 0.070" in the hole. The block had been decked before but I don't know how much was taken off. Factory pistons could of had a higher or lower compression height than the replacement pistons that were in it when I pulled it down. Also maybe worth noting is that the "fireball" 318s were supposed to have slightly taller pistons in them.
I would be pulling a head off to check for sure, but if I was going through the trouble of a roller cam swap I would definitely be swapping out the factory pistons.
I've got a 318 with Enginetech pistons that measured 10 thou down after the block came to me heavily decked. Compression height for those pistons is 1.741 so if you calculate the distance with with the piston(1.741), rod(6.123) and crank stroke (3.31/2= 1.655) you get 9.519. If you go by Chrysler stated Deck height of 9.600 that leaves you with anywhere between 0 and .080 distance you could have. Measure twice and cut once as the saying goes if you want to know and be accurate. Pull the heads measure and just sit them back on.

Last edited:
Yeah i think they had a pretty lose tolerance on that 9.6" deck height though. Mine also had a taller deck on the driver's side. Ended up with 9.575" after they were cleaned up and evened out, and a 0.013" positive deck height with KB167s.
Did you have issues with intake manifold fitment With the block decked that far?

Yeah i think they had a pretty lose tolerance on that 9.6" deck height though. Mine also had a taller deck on the driver's side. Ended up with 9.575" after they were cleaned up and evened out, and a 0.013" positive deck height with KB167s.
Did you have issues with intake manifold fitment With the block decked that far?
Yeah but I have few different manifolds I can put on so I managed to find one to fit (portosonic) but the heads have been milled a bit to get from memory about 58 to 60 cc from the 302 closed chamber heads.

You have to measure it to really know where you stand.

Wow! I sure did some responses that set off in all different directions! Maybe I will give more information and maybe someone that has pulled a 1972\1980 318 can give me an answer!
I have a 410 hot rod engine in my other car that runs low elevens and gets 23mpg on a run.
It is a 410 with 11/1 comp with forged pistons ,I beam rods, trick flow heads and a 340 victor port matched with 5 speed manual trans and 3.91 diff.
This is my other car that has 55000 miles on the clock and is a 1973 Australian Valiant charger 318 auto with air and steer and looks and drives like new with 95% factory original paint that is as good as the day it was built!
As a car like this is worth over $100 grand in aus I do not want to hot rod it but just keep it looking std but with a bit more poke. I have a spare set of heads that I have already worked on the ports and bowls and have ordered a set of 1.880 inlet valves and will be sending them to my head machinist that I have known for about forty years that will do a good 5 angle valve job and reduce the chambers to about 56CCs.
I am getting a roller camshaft and lifters for it but Mike at B3 needs to know a rough idea of compression to design a cam that idles like stock and has good low end response for me.
This car will have 360 exhaust manifolds and a 2.5 inch single system. The car at this time has a edelbrock performer manifold with an AVS2 500 on it but still sports the original 318 Fireball air cleaner that makes the engine bay look like stock.
I do not want to pull the heads off and let this car sit for months on end waiting for the parts to arrive from the USA.
All I am asking is has anyone measured how far in the whole was there 1971/1980 model 318 to find the average number that I can expect.
The small block mopar engines book that I have states the 1972 engines were .056 in the hole but I tend to think that they are generally further down and our Australian spec sheets on our 1973 318 says 8.2 to one compression. I will be machining down the heads to attempt to get about 56CCs and hopfully closer to near 9 to 1 comp.
Have a nice day!
The best thing You can do is warm it up then do a cranking compression test. Fresh battery w/a charger hooked up, all plugs out, throttle held wide open, ign. disabled.
Stop on the 7th 'pump', w/a stock cam, it should give Him a good idea where You're at.

The small block mopar engines book that I have states the 1972 engines were .056 in the hole
I measured mine last week, it was almost .060 in the hole which would be in the ballpark of what your book says. My engine was made in mid or so of 1972, BUT, I do have stockish replacement .030 over pistons.

Extra notes for everyone,
All YOU OLD FARTS need to stop bickering about ****. People come to these forums to be part of a community, learn valuable information from other helpful members and give some help when they can.

All YOU OLD FARTS need to stop bickering about ****. People come to these forums to be part of a community, learn valuable information from other helpful members and give some help when they can.
HAW! good luck with that.

these dudes will argue about **** they think they remembered from 1976, and even then they were wrong.

I measured mine last week, it was almost .060 in the hole which would be in the ballpark of what your book says. My engine was made in mid or so of 1972, BUT, I do have stockish replacement .030 over pistons.

I'll argue with anyone who thinks there's only one way to do something. That does people more harm than good.

Does anyone know how far down a 1972 318 pistons are? In a book I have it states in 1972-1981 they are .056 down from the top of the bore but with those calculations in the Diamond racing compression calculator it gives about 8.5 to one compression but our factory manuals state 8.2 compression ! I tend to think that the pistons are further down in the bore. I would like to find out the real comp before I pull the heads off as I would like to custom order a camshaft but need a more accurate reading on my compression ratio as it may take a few months to get a custom ordered roller cam and I would not like my engine sitting unassembled for many months.
By 72 emissions were kicking in and the CRs dropped into the outhouse basement. Between either dish pistons or 0.040" to 0.100" down and combined with open chamber heads the combustion was terrible and prone to detonation. Best bet would be figure new pistons to zero deck it with modern rings with 1.2mm width. This reduces friction. You want pistons with 2 valve reliefs not 4 and flat top. Also plan on in the future getting heads like the Edelbrock closed chamber for good quench which is high mixture motion. Good for efficient combustion.
Calculate your compression based on that and order a cam, lifters and pushrods to match. You can change the pistons next winter and then the heads the year after that.

By 72 emissions were kicking in and the CRs dropped into the outhouse basement. Between either dish pistons or 0.040" to 0.100" down and combined with open chamber heads the combustion was terrible and prone to detonation. Best bet would be figure new pistons to zero deck it with modern rings with 1.2mm width. This reduces friction. You want pistons with 2 valve reliefs not 4 and flat top. Also plan on in the future getting heads like the Edelbrock closed chamber for good quench which is high mixture motion. Good for efficient combustion.
Calculate your compression based on that and order a cam, lifters and pushrods to match. You can change the pistons next winter and then the heads the year after that.
Well, sorta. While it is true that compression dropped, it's also true that horse power ratings changed from gross to net. So that makes it appear that engines lost a ton of power from 72 onward, when in fact, they did not. That'a always a part of the equation people sometimes forget. With all else aqual, a 10:1 engine for example, will make only about 6% more power than an 8:1 engine. Compression alone isn't the end all be all a lot of people think it is.

Well, sorta. While it is true that compression dropped, it's also true that horse power ratings changed from gross to net. So that makes it appear that engines lost a ton of power from 72 onward, when in fact, they did not. That'a always a part of the equation people sometimes forget. With all else aqual, a 10:1 engine for example, will make only about 6% more power than an 8:1 engine. Compression alone isn't the end all be all a lot of people think it is.
One thing to remember is that factory ratings were just that, ratings. Not actual measurements. 68 and 69 318s have an advertised 230 horsepower, and an advertised 9.25 ratio with open chamber heads. A 70 318 is still advertised as 230 horsepower, with an advertised 8.8 ratio. A 71 318 still advertised 230 horses, but ratio is now 8.6. So the math says half a point less compression, at a theoretical 3 percent per point, should be a minimum of four less horsepower.

Very true Rusty. The open chamber heads did have more tendency to detonation. Other factors in the emissions systems of the day caused drivability issues. The eengineers were having fits trying to figure out how to lower all the pollutants and be able to have reasonable drivability. The VW diesel emissions scandal is just another phase of the same thing. People that had their VW diesels reprogrammed to be emissions compliant all cocomplain power and fuel economy went down the outhouse hole. I used to wonder when you would end up following one of those cars, how they possibly met emissions. As a licensed automotive and heavy duty mechanic my nose said they did not. Nose was right.

One thing to remember is that factory ratings were just that, ratings. Not actual measurements. 68 and 69 318s have an advertised 230 horsepower, and an advertised 9.25 ratio with open chamber heads. A 70 318 is still advertised as 230 horsepower, with an advertised 8.8 ratio. A 71 318 still advertised 230 horses, but ratio is now 8.6. So the math says half a point less compression, at a theoretical 3 percent per point, should be a minimum of four less horsepower.
There could be a number of other factors involved that the factories could have used beside fudging the numbers. Camshaft profiles could be one. Lower intake lift but longer duration is one I found in the TRW cam catalogue. This applied to Mopar, Chev and Ford bread and butter engines of the day. That was 30 years ago I found that, so it may be difficult to track down now.

-
Back