How fast are you going with a stock planetary

-

mike1965

Reaction score
Just wanted to see what the stock unit will hold Maybe you can post the weight of your car / HP and CI

Mike

Thee are SEVERAL different stock planet assemblies. Which one are you talking about?

Opinions vary, but I refer any of the steel ones over the aluminum, of course the more planetaries, the better.

Opinions vary, but I refer any of the steel ones over the aluminum, of course the more planetaries, the better.

Good to know I would prefer a steel one also would be a lot stronger than the alum , when I get mine apart if it has an alum one I will swap it out for the steel one .

Have you used the steel one and how fast have you been and what's the most anyone else has gone with a stock planet

Good to know I would prefer a steel one also would be a lot stronger than the alum , when I get mine apart if it has an alum one I will swap it out for the steel one .

Have you used the steel one and how fast have you been and what's the most anyone else has gone with a stock planet

The load experienced by the planetary is a function of, weight of the car, torque produced by the engine, amount of traction and other factors. Speed (how fast someone runs) is a relative term. If you run 11 seconds in a 2500 lb car the load on the planetary is totally different than the load experienced driving a 3500 lb car (all other factors equal). I know nothing about transmissions (well, maybe a little) but you'll more details to get a better answer.

Treblig

The load experienced by the planetary is a function of, weight of the car, torque produced by the engine, amount of traction and other factors. Speed (how fast someone runs) is a relative term. If you run 11 seconds in a 2500 lb car the load on the planetary is totally different than the load experienced driving a 3500 lb car (all other factors equal). I know nothing about transmissions (well, maybe a little) but you'll more details to get a better answer.

Treblig

I have a all steel 67dart with a fiber glass hood and a roll cage
with a 514ci with 800-1000hp not sure on the weight of the car
the turbo it self weighs over 60lbs so what i wanted to see was
how good the stock planetary's where i am going to use a stock one
and wated to see what poeple where getting away with i will be using the
steel in mine oh and my car will be a street car and only using 5-10# on
the street

3 steel pinion planateries in a 904, 3900lb stock eliminator Dakota, low 11's.

............I know quite a few guys in the low 10s prolly weigh over 3000lbs.........how many pinions do u wanna run...........I build mine with 4...kim........

............I know quite a few guys in the low 10s prolly weigh over 3000lbs.........how many pinions do u wanna run...........I build mine with 4...kim........

I would like to use the stock steel planetary did they come in the 1970 727 or would that be alum.

I've never seen a steel planetary in a 727, just in 904's. In 904's I prefer steel 4 pinion planetaries. In 727's I use 4 pinion planetaries.

When you ask a question you need to let us know what trans your talking about or it gets confusing

What year is the 727? There have only been three different splines on the nose of the output shaft over the years. Some planetaries will install on the wrong output shaft only to strip out after a short time. If you want a cheap steel planetary you better find a B van with a 727 from 91-93 to get the output shaft. Then get yourself a steel planetary from a A618 before 94.

I'll check myself when I get home to see if the years are correct.

If your not stripping the splines out now, why worry. A steel carrier will only slow you down.

I've never seen a steel planetary in a 727, just in 904's. In 904's I prefer steel 4 pinion planetaries. In 727's I use 4 pinion planetaries.

When you ask a question you need to let us know what trans your talking about or it gets confusing

Sorry my bad it's a 727 , I can't believe I did it again :violent1:

What year is the 727? There have only been three different splines on the nose of the output shaft over the years. Some planetaries will install on the wrong output shaft only to strip out after a short time. If you want a cheap steel planetary you better find a B van with a 727 from 91-93 to get the output shaft. Then get yourself a steel planetary from a A618 before 94.

I'll check myself when I get home to see if the years are correct.

If your not stripping the splines out now, why worry. A steel carrier will only slow you down.

Please let me know , the reason I want to change is I'm stepping up in power and don't want to strip the alum. spline's , if you have part number's can you post them for me please

Mike

my hotrod weighed in at 3500lbs and striped the aluminum planet out when the motor reached 900+hp. it now has a steel planet with straight cut gears and an aluminum drum.

I checked my brain and found I'm partially correct.

There are four planets: 62-65, 66-75, 76-93, 94-up with each having various (3,4,5) numbers of actual planetary gears

There are three splines: 62-75, 76-93, and 94-up

The only factory steel carrier planets I know of are 94-up

I have not found a 94 or later 727. I will check Monday with my parts guru.

There are aftermarket steel planetary assemblies available from A&A or TCS for any of the three splines.

Another thing to consider is make sure the valve body is low band apply. It's a little slower, but you don't have to worry about the sprag. One note about the sprag, The 727 went from a 12 to 14 roller overunning clutch in 88/89. There is an aftermarket 16 roller version, but you have to install a bolt in outer race which requires a drill jig for proper placement.

The fast Stock eliminator guys run three pinion planetaries, but everything is custom. There are needle bearings underneath each pinion as well needle bearings under the planetary carrier. There is so much stress at the pinion to carrier if no needle bearing thrust is installed, more pinions are needed to spread the load.

-
Back