how hard is it to install rear window?

-

spankster

Reaction score
I managed to get my rear window out of 70 dart swinger... also managed to do it without mangling up the trim...so the windows readyto go back in, my question is to anybody that has done this b4, how difficult is it and what is best way to install to assure id doesnt leak? Or, should I just call a glass guy to come and install it>? Thanks

Doing the same thing myself. I'd call a glass guy. Its well worth the money and its usually pretty resonable too.

Had many windows installed by Pro's on My big Rigs. They always seemed to leak. They use a black RTV/Caulk but never seem to get it just right. If it was my car, I would get the best Black Window Goop I could find and then make sure it was a nice even layer. Then I would install it in the shade and press it down nice and uniformly. The I would move into the sun to settle it in nicely. A good Pro would probably get it right though. I don't know what the heck is wrong with the guys that were doing our trucks. Also, Be careful what you use. I heard that Silicone promotes rust aroung the window "Frame" Good Luck with it.

thin film of sealer , then put the gasket on the glass set the bottom of it into place and feed a 1/4 inch rope in the channel of th gasket, while aplying slight pressure slowly pull the rope moving from one side to the next and it will pull the gasket into the car and Viol'a

If you have leakage problems later, I would try black butyl rubber between the rubber seal and metal frame. It comes in caulk tubes at Ace. To stop leaks between the glass and rubber, try "flowable silicone" which comes in small tubes at auto parts stores.

Thanks. So I put the rope in the rubber gasket channel all the way around the sides and top (after bottom is set) then do I pull from inside the car while somebody iElse s pushing the glass from outside? I've read about this rope trick, probably a 5 beer job....

yepp.....don't push to hard or the rope will want to cut the gasket...beer is for after the job is done
Thanks. So I put the rope in the rubber gasket channel all the way around the sides and top (after bottom is set) then do I pull from inside the car while somebody iElse s pushing the glass from outside? I've read about this rope trick, probably a 5 beer job....

Thanks Waggin

I'll dry run it with the old gasket 1 st it came off clean... Good thing I'll have a designated rope puller so I'll be safe...

-
Back