How hard would it be...

-

stroker mike

Reaction score
I want to do a 'simple' cam swap, but don't want to pull the engine out of the car, can this be done? Will have to change valve springs, too, and while I'm at it I will install these ohio crankshaft roller rockers, they are adjustable, obviously, but how do you set lash on hydraulic lifters? Gosh, I feel really ignorant right now! :scratch: lol I have alot to learn!

yes it can be done. you might have to remove the grille to get the cam in and out but its not that bad.

There is the original cam that came in the late 318 ELE police engine in there right now, and I'm putting in a hughes 219/489 muscle car cam, lifters and springs. I also have an old offy 360 low rise on there with a carter competition afb, but I will be replacing it with a high rise offy and a holley 600. Some vintage M/T valve covers and a new jacobs fc 2000 will be added, and my new set of roller rockers, too. I had questions about piton to valve clearance when I emailed hughes and that is why I chose to run the 489 lift cam instead of the 504, because I don't have a garage to work in, and I wouldn't want to take the heads off unless I absolutely had to. Th heads are great for this combo, some 340 j heads that were milled a bit to raise cr, but still enough chamber to run the 489 lift without cutting valve guides and leaving plenty of clearance. I can run the stock converter, and can expect ripper torque from idle up, but will have a cool lope with the 108 +3 lsa. I am sure my rollers would start cussing at me in a race situation, but this will be a street car, and fun for the blvd, you know?I have been planning this for a long time and I hope I have it right!!

My concern was the guide to retainer clearance. Sounds like you got it all worked out tho. Should have no problem swapping cams, but, depending on the body, you may need to pull some bodywork. (like the grille...)

-
Back