How I painted my cowls

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Being terrified of rust after shocking photos from Canada and Europe, I decided to try painting inside my cowl as best I could. A-bodies don't have removable cowls like old Chevy's and new Mopars, so it is challenging.

I accessed the cowl thru the engine bay holes and cabin air inlet holes (heater and vent boxes removed). I used Scotch-brite as far as I could reach, then tied to a rod, and scraped all crud loose w/ sheet metal strips. I blew air and sucked w/ vacuum, taping a small hose to get in the crevices, then cleaned w/ alcohol and MEK via rag-on-stick. I did my Valiant and Dart at the same time, to leverage the paint setup/cleaning. Previously I had painted the Dart's cowl w/ rattle can rust converter after a wash and scrape but wasn't satisfied.

The photo shows the setup in the engine bay, w/ tape around the holes. I used dollar store tools - a wiper w/ handle and a foam roller on plastic handle. I secured each to a metal rod, which allowed reaching most spots except the far ends. I started with the foam roller. I had to wipe brush off chips it picked up on the first passes. I followed with the paint wiper, getting the vertical and upper surfaces. At the time I took the photo, I had tossed the foam rollers and paint wipers, but you get the idea. The Dart photo is after stripping tape and cleaning w/ mineral spirits.

From the cabin side, I used the spent foam rollers as hand sponges. One can reach far into the crevices and stuff in the foam. Have a stiff wire ready to retrieve it when it gets stuck. I wore gloves and stripped each when changing hands to avoid getting paint on interior surfaces, since your gloves will be covered w/ paint. For sure, cover the floors w/ plastic sheet and newspaper. I ended up using half a quart on the 2 cars so pretty sure I covered thoroughly.

I will follow up w/ rattle can Rust Destroyer and top coat where one can see thru the vents. I plan to get the magnet sign material to make vent covers as others have. The factory design is assured to fill the cowl with leaves that can never exit thru the drain crimps, plug them and cause rust heaven. Not sure the factory did much of a paint job inside the cowl either, as they barely painted the door interiors (not at the top).

Attachments

• Valiant cowl painting.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Dart cowl painting.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 175
I think a big key to them is keeping them clean and free of debris and the side drains clear they get filled and blocked with pine needles and such.
But for some it is a little late on a 40yo car. So great Idea to preserve or turn the clock back.

-
Back