How many of your personal cars ended up in junkyards?

-
The first for me was my Dad's '63 Dart 170. Motor locked up and tore the 7 1/4 out from underneath it ... and they say /6's run forever! Second was my new wife's '67 Mustang coupe. I swapped the smoking 289 out for a 302 out of her dad's totaled '71 Mustang. Ran good but the Detroit area salt just about rotted it in half. Along the same lines I sold my excellent condition '74 Hang 10 to a guy in Tampa back in '83. I saw it at a gas station about a year later. It had been gutted and turned into a drag car! Finally, I'm sure my '70 Challenger R/T (JS23N0B223928) met the scrapyard after I sold it in Detroit in '78 with a collapsed lifter. The kid I sold it to said he knew how to fix it! Sure. Never saw it again. I started looking for it to buy it back again in 1999 but it never shows up as registered anywhere in the US. I will never stop looking for it though.

Had a few.
I'm bad about driving cars until the wheels fall off.
84 Chevy Chevette (was parked in the driveway and drunk girl drove off road)
88 Olds Cutlass Ciera
83 Olds Cutlass
75 AMC Hornet Wagon
2000 Dodge Caravan (mother in law was driving it, had a heart attack and totaled it)
94 Plymouth Sundance Duster (I put two engines and three transmissions in it, had to junk when I couldn't find a SBEC)
2008 Dodge Caravan (I totaled it, only car I killed)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2003 Jeep Liberty (wife killed both Jeeps)

In 1985 I bought a 1971 Chevelle Malibu 350 for $100.00, triple green that had seen too many NY winters. The quarters were rotted half way up, fenders flapped in the breeze and the 350 had a bad cam and lifters. Sent that one to the junkyard. My 1976 V8 Vega, no rust, houndstooth interior and a 5 inch snorkel hood scoop. I had a 56 Chevy, and a Mach 1 and no one wanted the Vega so I sent it to the crusher. One of the dumbest things I ever did. I wish I had it back!

My Dad traded a $50 watch for my first ride, a 69 plymouth fury station wagon. It was stolen from behind my work. No feeling it the world like walking over to where you know you parked the car. Probably the worst thing the police could have done was recovered it parked 2 blocks from the police station. It had been run through the fields with the radiator packed with leaves and seeds. It was out of water, oil and gas. I topped everything off and drove it to the Sears auto center for the engine tick, and out of the driveway the trans blew up and puked al the fluid. No choice but off the the junk yard. Also missing out of the car was my 2 piece pool stick. Been looking for that stick for 30 years now.

I HAD a really nice 1990 Lebaron convertible GTC.. white with red leather interior. About 21 years ago on the way home from work one day, I was sitting in the U turn lane, waiting to go north.
Some asshole in a pickup truck, slammed into the back of my car, doing between 50-60 mph. The entire back of my car was pushed up into the back seat. Car was toast. Luckily I wasn't seriously injured.

Other car was a really nice completely rust free Arizona '68 Dart
Bronze 318 2 door. I sold it to fund my first house purchase. Didn't see it for almost 20 years, but I did see it at the Woodward Cruise with a couple younger guys driving it. Then about a year or so later, I saw a picture of it on Moparts... totalled!!! Front end was all twisted and smashed! :BangHead:

Three of them that I know of/can think of:

* In '84, a '71 Vega that I put a 350/350 combo into. Car was "clean" (little rust), but the torque of the 350 must have been too much for it, as it got the point I couldn't close the doors on it. Sold it to a kid a couple towns over (Long Lake, MN), but I found the carcass out at French Lake Auto a couple/three years later.

* Immediately after that one, a '76 (or '77?) Granada we welded a 460/toploader combo into, on a bet, over the course of a couple drunken weekends. Rusty as hell, but with a 5.67 9" and a spool, it could pull the front tires...if you bounced it a couple times! Ended-up at Joe's Auto Sales (an all-Ford junkyard) down near Coates, MN after we got done beating the absolute **** out of it.

* About 4 years ago, a 2002 Expedition. Another MN vehicle that was rusty as hell. Drove it out to Barstow, CA, and on the way back the transmisison gave up the ghost. Made it to a town called Bluewater, NM, pulled off I-40, found a small gas stop, and a cop was in there. I asked him, "Know anyone who hauls away used cars?", and he gave me a number to the local tow operator. While waiting for him to arrive I rented a U-Haul and transferred all of my stuff into it. When the tow guy got there I told him I only wanted the tires and wheels (the tires were new), so he pulled the POS onto his flatbed, jacked it up, removed all 4 tires, and we put them in the back of the U-Haul. I asked him where I should send the Title, and he just looked at the rusty Expo, laughed, and said, "Don't worry about it!".

There's probably more, but these are the ones I'm certain about.

I've junked probably a 100 mopars, myself. Parts cars and beaters....and a few unfortunate totals.

-
Back