How Many Times!

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Im getting tired of bleeding the brakes at this point!
Ok I have always went about bleeding brakes the "old" way: 2 people, one pumping, one cracking the valve open.
Well I spent a good couple hours last weekend doing it that way and eneded up with only about 1/3 away from the floor (total pedal travel) YEAH NOT GOOD!

So I tried what I have heard worked good for a friend which is the handheld vacuum pump. So I went about it that way last night and it didnt sem to get any better.

I am figuring the pedal should be pretty solid feeling at least half way to the floor.
So on this next attempt I will use what I found to be really good, when I did my old Jeep a while back. I bought some of the one-way-bleeder screws.

If you havent seen them yet, they have a check valve inside them. On the Jeep I just cracked it open and pumped away! Unfortunatly I have to watch carefully because my master cyl. is sooooo small.

Anyhow does anyone have any more advice I am getting tired of bleeding brakes and not getting to run it around a little.:angry6:

A few ideas......
Bench bleed the master cylinder if it's new.
Don't over pump before bleeding. Just a few pumps is all it needs before cracking the bleeders.
Gravity bleed it.
Make sure drums are adjusted properly before bleeding.

Master cyl. isnt new but I have to admit I have most likely forgotten to adjust the front pads . I rebuilt the brakes with new wheel cyl up front and that was several months ago. The rear were rebulit about a year ago, and the brakes were not quite up to snuff then either. So now at this point all four corners have new stuff and the brakes need to be bled as best as possible.
Ill be sure to check adjust ment on all of them before I go any further.

As far as gravity bleeding goes, if there is a bubble in a high spot, what are the chances it will just be passed by the fluid and end up staying in that high spot.
I have never bothered to gravity bleed before, Idont have the patients! lol

As far as gravity bleeding goes, if there is a bubble in a high spot, what are the chances it will just be passed by the fluid and end up staying in that high spot.

If you've bled them as much as you say, it isn't likely there's a high bubble. My money is on the shoes being out of adjustment. I'd also bench bleed the master just to eliminate it from the equation.

Beware calipers or wheel cylinders installed upside down. Line goes in the bottom , bleeder at the top. Bench bleeding the master may not be needed after all the pumping you've already done unless we've let a resivoir run empty. I like to free bleed or gravity bleed and I dont have help most days anyway. The pedal pusher always sprays fluid everywhere for me LOL
Good luck

Longest to shortest. Rt rear, left rear, rt front then left front.

OK, did you replace these calipers?
Reason why I'm asking is while I had my car gutted, I rebuilt the front end and bought newer calipers. When I installed them, I had them backwards (bleeders on bottom) yea did alot of bleeding until the problem was discovered. Never realized what I did. Like RedFish had mentioned.

My bet is master cylinder.

When I bought my Dart Lite (4 wheel manual drums) we replaced all 4 wheel cylinders, front brake hoses, and it still went to the floor, despite what was good flow at wheel cylinders.

A parts store replacement master cylinder solved the problem. It stops as well as my 1997 Ram truck with discs!

I have had this car since 94 and this thing has never stopped this good! Well it turned out to be the easiest thing! ADJUST THE DAMN PADS DUMMY! Well as I said I had done the brakes quite a while before it actually made it back outta' the garage so I had forgotten all about what was finished and what was not. So now I have very very good brakes! Thx for all your help guys!:cheers:

-
Back