How many tubes of RTV should I use...

-

iScamp

Reaction score
to seal a water pump? '94 Dodge Shadow 3.0. Always ran hot. Did the usual, verified gauge, cooling fan, etc. Even running down the highway, it ran hot. After further investigation, pulled the radiator and popped the plastic end tank off.

The black stuff is RTV that apparently oozed through the coolant system after the previous owner had changed the water pump. The crusty scale is probably from running straight water as a coolant.

radiator shadow.jpg

P.S. Pulled one of the cylinder heads and there was extruded RTV in some of the coolant passages.

It's rather harmful to transmissions also :rolleyes: when the technician can't seem to find the new gasket after the filter change and just glues the pan on. Especially annoying when you don't find out about it until the transmission poops the bed on the way up Tioga Pass in the Sierra Nevadas :BangHead:

Why the hell would you need RTV to seal a water pump on a 3.0?
There is an O-ring on the the back of the water pump that goes into the water pipe.
Other than that, I can't think of a reason to use RTV

There is an O-ring on the the back of the water pump that goes into the water pipe.

I watched a crew install a new radiator in an autozone parking lot and then fill it all up with purple power and drive away. We tried to help, they were having nothing to do with us.

Someone probably saw the label said "for water pumps" and so they dumped it into the filler neck.. LOL.

Mine had something similar recently in the top of the radiator flues, but it wasn't RTV, it was chewed up, regurgitated water pump seal. I had the radiator flushed, replaced the water pump......using NO RTV on the gasket. lol

I watched a crew install a new radiator in an autozone parking lot and then fill it all up with purple power and drive away. We tried to help, they were having nothing to do with us.

Someone probably saw the label said "for water pumps" and so they dumped it into the filler neck.. LOL.
You're right, you can't fix the stupid.
BTW, OP, cool find. I'd love to get my hands on one of those old P bodys with a 3.0L. especially if it's a drop top.

Last edited:
Mine had something similar recently in the top of the radiator flues, but it wasn't RTV, it was chewed up, regurgitated water pump seal. I had the radiator flushed, replaced the water pump......using NO RTV on the gasket. lol
It's like...deja vu....

to seal a water pump? '94 Dodge Shadow 3.0. Always ran hot. Did the usual, verified gauge, cooling fan, etc. Even running down the highway, it ran hot. After further investigation, pulled the radiator and popped the plastic end tank off.

The black stuff is RTV that apparently oozed through the coolant system after the previous owner had changed the water pump. The crusty scale is probably from running straight water as a coolant.

View attachment 1716002221
Whaaaaat? Huh? And WHY!!!!!

The water pump has two openings where it mounts to the block. The water pipe at the back with the o-ring is the inlet from the radiator.

My brother has a '92 Duster (mine previously), 3.0, 5 spd
'91 Daytona , 3.0, 5 spd
'94 Shadow, 3.0, 5 spd.
They are fun cars to drive.
There was a '93 Shadow in the junkyard, recently. Convertible. It was really nice. A relative of the deceased owner drove it to junkyard. 'didn't want to fool with advertising and haggling', she said.

The water pump has two openings where it mounts to the block. The water pipe at the back with the o-ring is the inlet from the radiator.

My brother has a '92 Duster (mine previously), 3.0, 5 spd
'91 Daytona , 3.0, 5 spd
'94 Shadow, 3.0, 5 spd.
They are fun cars to drive.
There was a '93 Shadow in the junkyard, recently. Convertible. It was really nice. A relative of the deceased owner drove it to junkyard. 'didn't want to fool with advertising and haggling', she said.
I forgot about the block inlets.
Those were fun cars.
Shame cash for clunkers was so hard on them.
Damn few left.
There's an old lady in my town who drives a purpleish Shadow now and again. Probably the last new car she bought and it looks great. Has the "power bulge" on the hood.
I had a 94 Duster w/3.0l. Gave it to my son when he went to college. That 604 trans gave it up and we dragged it home. It sat in the driveway, we kept saying we'd fix it. Then cash for clunkers came and it was too good of an opportunity. My son bought a new truck and still has that.
I would like to find another though!

-
Back