How much different are they, really ?

-

oldmodlover

Reaction score
How much different are '67 and up slant 6 headers to early a- body headers?
Can a guy take a later set, and with a cut off wheel, some extra bends, and a welder, make them fit an early a-body?
Has anyone actually done it.?
I am capable of building my own set from scratch but am wondering if it is possible/ easier / quicker to just modify a later set.
Your thoughts.

I suppose you can do anything, but I suspect it would be easier the other way around. The later cars have so much more room that the exact path isn't as critical.

The 67+ headers have much more room to work with. The only ones that work worth a hoot on a 66- are Cliffords. There's a reason they made them shorties, so you can finagle just two pipes around everything that's in the way.

I suppose if you really wanted to you could cut some later headers to fit, but I'm guessing it would be much more trouble than it's worth.

How much different are '67 and up slant 6 headers to early a- body headers?
Can a guy take a later set, and with a cut off wheel, some extra bends, and a welder, make them fit an early a-body?
Has anyone actually done it.?
I am capable of building my own set from scratch but am wondering if it is possible/ easier / quicker to just modify a later set.
Your thoughts.

It can be done, an acquaintance with a /6 65 Dart GT sliced and diced a 6 into 1 ( 6 tubes into 1 collector ) to fit, don't remember what brand he started with, though I know it was not Clifford, they are 6 into 2, it was a drag car.

As far as making your own, it might not be as large an undertaking as you think. I say this as years ago on a 64 /6 Barracuda allegedly owned by Geoff Bodine (of NASCAR fame ) was a set of home made headers, 6 into 2 construction. First 3 cylinders , tubes came out of the head, pretty much flat across engine compartment, merged into a common collector, then elbow down drop to get under the car. Last 3 cylinders were same arrangement, tubes came out flat, merged into common collector, elbow down drop to get under the car. Tube length to collector from the head was a common distance front and rear, collector where tubes merged was flat, not round. Merge point was kinda quick after exiting head, then large tube across to elbow drop. I'm gonna guess collector outlet was 2 1/2 inch, might have been smaller; I was looking at these things over 20 years ago, obviously they left an impression .

They weren't scavengers, but they did dump exhaust out with low restriction.

Also, FWIW, it's been proven time and again on the slant six that the six into one design is better for performance. This is why Mopar performance never offered anything but a six into one. People might argue that point, but they will be incorrect. ;)

-
Back