How much do head gaskets compress?

-

ne57

Reaction score
I've got two sets of head gaskets. One is steel shim that measures .020" on the main section and .042" on the raised ribs. The other is a composite that measures .050" on the main section and .054 on the cylinder metal Orings.

Also, the composites don't seem quite as centered around the cylinders, its not alot but there. But they otherwise are the correct cylinder oversize. One side of the Oring overhangs a little bit into one side of the cylinder.

The steel shim gaskets are for standard bore(I THINK), I'm at .060, so they also extend into the cylinder a little bit too, but centered. There might be enough material for me to trim the opening some, but would reduce the distance from the inner edge of the gasket opening to the first rib that circles the cylinder. Then again the diameter of the combustion chamber is smaller than the cyinder so the gasket would still have contact with a cooling surface, if that makes a difference.

In neither case do the pistons hit the gaskets.

Depending on how much each compresses will affect my final CR.

So the questions are...
How much will each type of gasket compress?
Is trimming the shim gasket doable and or advisable or not necessary?
Can I torque these down and take them off again to measure and still reuse them?
Generally speaking what are the pros and cons of each type of gasket?

This is actually a 1st generation hemi but this board is so much more active than the hemi board I usually visit, and this is not hemi specific.

Many thanks

You mean this a baby hemi (331,354,392) or the 426 Hemi? On your questions... When you read figures on head gaskets they typically spec the compressed thickness. The areas with ribs have a little more ability to compress on a steel shim type gasket but the spec won't go any smaller than the un-used gasket. So a steel shim that is .020 will be .020 when it's installed. A composite gasket will be thicker, and usually compress to around 75% of thier original size. The gasket bores are usually designed for the maximum overbore of the largest bore they can fit. So a current 273 gasket will have a bore figure of slightly larger than 4.06. The std Felrpos and stuff are based on a 4.10 bore because you dont want the fire ring overhanging the cylinder where they chamfer the top of the bore for piston/ring installation. Hope that helps. I'm not really a hemi guy but the info would still be applicable.

You might be able to slip a feeler gauge after the head is torque down between the deck and the head. Look all around the head for a gap. On my 340 it was right in front, a good 1/8 inch of open space before the head gasket. You can good a good idea then what the thickest is after its compressed

-
Back