How much drag should there be rotating my rear wheel in neutral. My brakes are not dragging

-
Of course there will be some drag.....spinning the r&p and driveshaft.

Curious the reason/problem why you're asking?

Might be a good little, especially with some sort of sure grip, because you're turning the rear gears "backwards". Instead of turning with the drive shaft, you're turning the tires, axles and ring gear. There's not as much leverage turning that way.

Yes I do have sure grip and 3.23 Gears but the force to rotate seems like a lot two hands

Drop the driveline if possible and take off rear tires and drums.

Turn.

Start adding those items back one by one and you will know where the majority drag lies.

$0.02

Is there oil in it?

New setup?

I will pull the drive line tomorrow .yes it has oil and the setup has maybe 500 miles

Yes I do have sure grip and 3.23 Gears but the force to rotate seems like a lot two hands
It will be. Think about what you're doing. You're turning BOTH tires, drums, axles ring gear, pinion AND drive shaft and you're turning it BACKWARDS from the normal direction of power. Let's say you have a 3.55:1 gear. Turning it from the tires, now you have a 1:3.55 gear. Understand? MUCH less leverage than powering from the drive shaft.

It will be. Think about what you're doing. You're turning BOTH tires, drums, axles ring gear, pinion AND drive shaft and you're turning it BACKWARDS from the normal direction of power. Let's say you have a 3.55:1 gear. Turning it from the tires, now you have a 1:3.55 gear. Understand? MUCH less leverage than powering from the drive shaft.
Yep, I just pulled a 3.23 suregrip center section from my car. This is the 3rd or 4th time trying other ratios. They all had quite a bit of resistance turning that way. Turn the driveshaft yoke and a different story. One direction is always a little easier than the other also. It’s normal. If you’re not getting any noise while running it , you should be ok.

When you rotate the driveshaft in reverse rotation, the rear sprag locks up, which then forces the sunshell to rotate thru the rear planetary; that's where the additional force comes from.
Whereas in normal rotation, the output shaft spins freely with the planetaries, and the slipping clutch discs..... but nothing else does.. until one of the clutch packs piles up.
So my advice is to check the force required to turn the transmission output shaft in normal direction. If you cannot turn it with your thumb and forefinger, something is probably wrong inside the trans. If it takes a pliars, well then I'd be, at the least, doing an air-pressure test on it, but prepared to take it all down.

As for the rear end, with the wheels and drums off, and spinning the yoke with the propellershaft removed, it should spin freely if the axel housing is straight. If the trans and the U-joints are in good shape, then it will spin nearly as freely ..... in the normal direction, by turning the P-shaft..

-
Back