how much horsepower can a 904 handle?

-

Duster Drag Car

Reaction score
How much horsepower can a 904 handle has high performance parts and a cheetah reverse manual valve body its behind a fresh 372 stroker?
01515_8vQBk8Z0KUQ_600x450.jpg

I know of one 904 that's handling 1400 hp successfully but we need an accurate list of parts to make a guess at what yours can handle .

My ex-employer had a 904 behind a Steve Schmidt pro stock motor. Ran BA/A , in the high 6:90's at a hair over 200MPH as I recall. You can see the car and what the company makes in the line of hard parts for all automatics at www.tcsproducts.com.
You don't say what you've got for "high performance" parts in your transmission. As jimjimjimmy has mentioned, it would be nice to know.

What's it take to run 8 seconds? Bucky Hess used one in his Hemi Barracuda. I think one will hold up to what you're gonna throw at it. You'll need to build it accordingly.

Just got my 904 finished over the weekend. Going behind a 408 6 Pack. I'm not worried about it holding up. 904's get a bad wrap. They are fine.

20171210_151627.jpg

20171210_151647.jpg

I did some quick lookin. He's run the 727. 727 with 904 guts, 904, and various manuals. I don't know what kinda power that thing had in its heyday, but it had a bucket load. I say had, because I don't think he races anymore......I could be wrong.

Whenever someone asks what a 904 can handle I always like to bring his name up. Course to handle THAT much power, you're gonna spend a CHUNK, but they can handle it.

Another viable option is going to the Turbo 400. They are WAY cheaper to build to that kinda power level.

two things I know:
  1. 904's can be built to take mega power
  2. From the factory, anything much more than a 318 4bbl and you'll soon have a slow shifting tranny from 1st to 2nd if ya keep a beat'n on it.
So my question is, "if a person wants to put a 904 behind a 375 - 400 hp 360, what would they have to do for upgrades to make it reliable on the street (in other words, no manual valve body)?

two things I know:
  1. 904's can be built to take mega power
  2. From the factory, anything much more than a 318 4bbl and you'll soon have a slow shifting tranny from 1st to 2nd if ya keep a beat'n on it.
So my question is, "if a person wants to put a 904 behind a 375 - 400 hp 360, what would they have to do for upgrades to make it reliable on the street (in other words, no manual valve body)?

Mine is built to A&A or Cope specs but with a Griner low band apply valve body in it.

Mine is built to A&A or Cope specs but with a Griner low band apply valve body in it.
I had a couple of things done to the 904 in one of my Dusters, but i'm not a tranny expert by any means

If I was gonna build one for say 400 or so HP, I would would want high capacity drums that will hold more clutches, like a five clutch forward drum. If you go on WIT Transmissions they have all that stuff. I would want 4 pinion planetaries........I've heard Bighead440 say the aluminum ones are fine, although some argue the steel ones, Bighead owns a transmission shop so he oughtta know. Maybe we can get his opinion.

@Bighead440

If I was gonna build one for say 400 or so HP, I would would want high capacity drums that will hold more clutches, like a five clutch forward drum. If you go on WIT Transmissions they have all that stuff. I would want 4 pinion planetaries........I've heard Bighead440 say the aluminum ones are fine, although some argue the steel ones, Bighead owns a transmission shop so he oughtta know. Maybe we can get his opinion.

@Bighead440
I just had them use Kevlar bands, and a different kickdown lever when they rebuilt my 904. I've beat the tar out of it this summer, so far so good. But i'm nowhere near 400 horse... LOL It's behind the low dollar 318. :D

Did you use the rigid bands? They are better for performance because they release quicker. Also, since the higher capacity drums have more surface area, you can use the wider bands.

Did you use the rigid bands? They are better for performance because they release quicker. Also, since the higher capacity drums have more surface area, you can use the wider bands.
Honestly, I don't know. I went to a reputable tranny shop that "specialized in Mopars", they told me they had tranny's behind 600+ horsepower motors in B and C bodies in the local areas with no issue. I guess tranny's never "excited" me, so I've always hired it done, and got a warranty. I took my Ramcharger 727 to another tranny shop that has a great rep and they were a couple hundred cheaper vs the quote at the other shop. I was really impressed at this shop. Floor was cleaner, more organized, they were prompt, professional, but I haven't got the Ramcharger back together yet, but I expect satisfaction. I think they even had a better warranty... Just a standard rebuild with new converter on the Ramcharger
It really made me feel good that there were some really nice classics there getting work done.

Ridgid bands are good but I don't think you want to use Kevlar on the front band. Use Kevlar on the reverse low band.

Thanks for your info its my first 904 I have a big block duster with a 727 and its been bullet proof. Just bought the Dart it has so many high end parts its crazy just wish it had a small block 727 I have paper work on everything but the tranny build im hoping the builders didn't skimp on the tranny the car is done realey well. Worst case is someday I'll install a built 727.

The 904’s I’ve had over the years don’t get anything exotic put in them. Not sure how much hp or tq my motors have had but the last one that’s now in Jamie’s Car was in my yellow 71 went 12 teens and would lift the left front tire. That trans had the crap beat out of it for close to 10 years on the street and track. when my buddy went through it before it went in Jamie’s Car he said it was fine and really didn’t need going through. Figured everything else was new I may as well put a fresh trans in it too.

He puts a bolt in Sprag on, alto red clutches, machines drum for an extra clutch, 3.8, 4.2 or a 5.o leaver and he makes a home made shift kit. Deep pan too. He doesn’t like the Kevlar bands do he doesn’t use them in my transmissions.

-
Back