-

bjopau

Reaction score
I have a 360 from 1975-76

It`s been bored .060 (371 Isn`t it)
Mopar P4529424 Pistons about 9.5 cr

It Has a Crane 278/290 Hydraulic cam.

Original cast iron "974" heads.
theese will be seriously ported and 2.02 intake valves.
perhaps an increase of cr with thinner gasket and machining off .040 of the heads.

edelbrock performer intake with a holley 650 on top.
mallory ignition system.

how much power will I get out of this combination?

yeah.... with that intake/carb/cam, sounds right.

Get a rpm/airgap/750 holley, cam= .500-525 lift 280*'s dur solid on a 110-112cl and you could see close to or around 400 hp

Actually it seems to be a holley 850dp on top.
The camshaft has advertised duration 278/290. At .050" it is 222/234, lift is 0.467/0.494

Would be nice getting around 400hp =P~

Bought the engine as it is barely driven after rebuilding. The only thing I want todo is the cylinder head job and gasketmatching the edelbrock intake.

400 h.p.,not with that combination more like 350.h.p. if that...

Yeah, I'm thinking along the lines with Wild&Crazy here......except I don't know if the valve-to-piston clearance would allow over .500 lift.....better be sure about that one. But that cam you've got doesn't sound too bad......I'm thinking 375 HP......hell, if it's going to be a 371 now, that's only 1 HP per cube!......with 2.02's and some porting? Come on, that really shouldn't be too hard, to me. Oh yeah, make sure you get the Air Gap Performer.

Hell, you might hit 410!!

Yeah, I'm thinking along the lines with Wild&Crazy here......except I don't know if the valve-to-piston clearance would allow over .500 lift.....better be sure about that one. But that cam you've got doesn't sound too bad......I'm thinking 375 HP......hell, if it's going to be a 371 now, that's only 1 HP per cube!......with 2.02's and some porting? Come on, that really shouldn't be too hard, to me. Oh yeah, make sure you get the Air Gap Performer.

Hell, you might hit 410!!

Is this the intake you are refering to?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=EDL-75764

that seems to have a higher range of rpm than my performer intake. It`s probably not a bad idea changing it.
This will not be a street driven vehicle (formula offroad like this):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2SJr4r3ssI
so it doesn`t have to be "streetable"
what camshaft would you recomend for a high rpm engine without worrying about valve piston clearence?

Yes, that's the manifold I was talking about, except not for that price with that "endura shine" setup. You could go a bit more radical on the cam, maybe up into the [email protected] range.....but I think you'll want some torque for pulling, so maybe keep the cam you mentioned. It doesn't sound like a bad setup......not everything is peak numbers.

Yes of course, the EDL 7576 is the same as the one I found yesterday :)
I guess I`ll try with cam I allready got and changing the intake.
Talked to a guy who is doing cylinderheads today, so I hope he is availiable to do mine in the nearest future.

thanks for you advices.

Does anyone know the maximum lift and duration I can have on standard heads planed 1mm?

of course they are proffessionally ported and has has 2.02 valves as well.
It looks a kind of like package 8 on this site:
http://www.buschis-place.de/mopar_360cui_performance.htm

p4529424 pistons
bored 0.60, 9:1 comp (heads planed about 1mm, New CR about 9.78)
Will install windage tray.
Now I have a crane hmv 278/290 (thinking about changing it to a hotter cam)
the heads like I have described.(at shop getting the job done theese days)
have a edelbrock rpm intake (thinking about changing to the rpm airgap)
holley 850 dp on top.

It kind of looks like package 8 and 9 on the link except the cam.
I still want to run a hydraulic flat tappet but wonders haw much lift the heads allows, and konsidering the piston clearance?

No one knows how much lift is maximum recomended on standard 360 heads?

No one knows how much lift is maximum recomended on standard 360 heads?

I had asked a question like this before about my X heads and the common answer was that it varies from one head to the next as they were mass produced not all are the same, most* people said around 480-500 was the limit on X heads so probably around there for your heads, a machinist/engine builder could check it out and grind the guide area for you if needed.

what about the comp CL20-225-4 cam?
284/296
.507"/.510" lift
I like that ca Camshafts main operating area 2300-6500 compared my crane that has main operating area between 2200 and 5200.

what about the comp CL20-225-4 cam?
284/296
.507"/.510" lift
I like that ca Camshafts main operating area 2300-6500 compared my crane that has main operating area between 2200 and 5200.
I'd think that camshaft would be far more well suited to heavily worked heads, bumped compression, etc. The Crane stick is geared toward being very street-friendly with otherwise stock components. The RPM Airgap would also better compliment the mods.

judging by the video... you want the crane and keep the heads mild.

judging by the video... you want the crane and keep the heads mild.

Why?
most of theese cars have very similar engine setup to dragrace engines. theese cars need power, and lots of torque of course, but also a high rpm range to get the wheels spinning

It doesnt sound like there's that much rpm to them. Maybe 5K? That's torque. Not horsepower. You need to be able to accelerate the tires and get the wheel speed up.

That video is not the best example, but if you search "formula offroad" on youtube you will find many cars running more rpm than on that video.

Ah. I saw a hill climber with paddle tires and getting throttled up the slope. Not WOT from the bottom. If you are sustaining RPMs over 5K I'd build to make power above it. Otherwise, you are just losing low end in trade and I dont see that as a good thing.

Ah. I saw a hill climber with paddle tires and getting throttled up the slope. Not WOT from the bottom. If you are sustaining RPMs over 5K I'd build to make power above it. Otherwise, you are just losing low end in trade and I dont see that as a good thing.

I`m thinking I need a little bit of both. top end power and of course I need torque too. If I change the crane cam to the komp cam I suggested, will I loose torque in the bottom? or will both torque and hp increase.
I might move the maximum torque point a little up in rpm, but perhaps still keep the same as I have now at lower rpm?
I don`t know, not easy to choose :)

What rpm rangedo you have to have? Unfortunately... I have no CLUE what you're doing with it...lol. I have a truck, and it never goes over 3500rpm...lol. I have cars that dont need power below 4K. So maybe the place to start is the weight, gearing, and expected rpm range you will need. Do these things have crawler transfercases? Ultra low gear reduction?

-
Back