How much oil in a Kevko pan?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
How much oil are you guys running in your kevko pans? And then in total for the engine?

Their site says 5 quarts...wondering if anyone has poured their pans and runs less or more?

does your pan have a plug on the side about 6'' up from the bottom this should be the fill line.

Yes it does...and if I go by that plug, this thing barely holds 4qts....5 quarts and oil is flowing out from the sump into the rest of the pan, which is why I wonder what everyone else runs and if they ever bothered to pour them

Not much of a "deep pan" if you ask me

I noticed the same thing, how it only take about 4 qts for oil to pour out of the upper plug. Not sure why that is when they say it holds 5 qts. Going by the factory dipstick it holds 5 qts. (+1 for the filter) when at the full mark and that's what I run. I've thought about calling Kevin and see what he says about it, just never get around to it.

They aren't much of a deep sump but they do control the oil well. For a street and occasional strip car their ok but if it were a strip only car I'd look into something with more capacity.

Subscribed. I've been wanting to order a Kevko pan for my 408 build.

I noticed the same thing, how it only take about 4 qts for oil to pour out of the upper plug. Not sure why that is when they say it holds 5 qts. Going by the factory dipstick it holds 5 qts. (+1 for the filter) when at the full mark and that's what I run. I've thought about calling Kevin and see what he says about it, just never get around to it.

They aren't much of a deep sump but they do control the oil well. For a street and occasional strip car their ok but if it were a strip only car I'd look into something with more capacity.

Yea, not sure why that is either...strange I find, especially since it used to be advertised as a 6 quart pan! lol

I was going to go for a Milodon low pro 7 qt, until I read this post by Brian at IMM doing some searching

Next time you guys have an oil pan laying around, pour the pans with water in a graduated container so you can measure just how much it takes to fill them up to the baffles (or the top of the sump).
A milodon street/strip 7Qt pan is FULL with 5Qts exactly! Any more than that and the oil will come out of the sump which is not good.
So 5Qts, plus 1/2 for the filter and 1/2 for the oil galleys = 6 Total Qts. using a 7QT pan!!

If that is the case, the kevko essentially has the same or just slightly less capacity...Making a decision for myself just got harder now...I would like more oil capacity, but need the ground clearance. Also, I don't want my 4" crank dragging oil from the pan floor with 5 qts in the pan (when I poured it to 5 qts some liquid made it on to the rear pan floor)....damn decisions

Yea, not sure why that is either...strange I find, especially since it used to be advertised as a 6 quart pan! lol

I was going to go for a Milodon low pro 7 qt, until I read this post by Brian at IMM doing some searching

Next time you guys have an oil pan laying around, pour the pans with water in a graduated container so you can measure just how much it takes to fill them up to the baffles (or the top of the sump).
A milodon street/strip 7Qt pan is FULL with 5Qts exactly! Any more than that and the oil will come out of the sump which is not good.
So 5Qts, plus 1/2 for the filter and 1/2 for the oil galleys = 6 Total Qts. using a 7QT pan!!

If that is the case, the kevko essentially has the same or just slightly less capacity...Making a decision for myself just got harder now...I would like more oil capacity, but need the ground clearance. Also, I don't want my 4" crank dragging oil from the pan floor with 5 qts in the pan (when I poured it to 5 qts some liquid made it on to the rear pan floor)....damn decisions

What Brian wrote is interesting. First time I'd heard of them not being what their advertised at.

Nevertheless me and numerous others are running the Kevco pan with a 4" crank stroker and have no issues with windage so I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I always run 5 qts +1 for the filter in mine and run the crap out of my car. Got about 7000 miles on it with no issues

-
Back