How much oil

-

oktire

oktire
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum or if BB would be better. The question is how much oil do you run in your big blocks with a 7qt milodon pan. I seem to have a lot of crank case pressure. 500ci on a 400 block. and yes I do have a evac kit on it. I've been fighting oil leaks on the motor. fix on and get another.

some of the evac kits dont' work with mufflers. plus the pipes in the collectors have to be installed at a 45* angle and be cut at the same angle. I like to weld the 45* cut at 90* to the collector. if that is good maybe you will have to invest in a pump kit. are you putting 7 quarts in the motor? depending on the rpm you are turning you might try 5 quarts. I suppose you are using a tray or scrapper?

Leaks are not the function of oil level... Likw Bob said - what evac setup do you have? What ring package? How many passes/miles?

improper crankcase ventilation is the cause of most oil leaks. like said above maybe your evac system is more the cause than cure.

50 pass on motor. the evac is at a 45 to the collectors with about 6-7" from the end. 7qts oil i'm thinking there is to much oil in the motor. i never had run a dipstick untill just recently when i changed the oil ii had been putting in 6qts. it took 7 1/2 to fill it to the full mark. it is a factory bb dipstick. thanks for input.

With the motor running pull the hoses off the breathers and put your finger over the end. You should feel a definite vacuum pull - no pressure pulses or anything but a steady vacuum. If not your check valves are probably shot. Their life span depends on the amount of back pressure your exhaust system makes. Full open exhaust is obviously the best - baffled mufflers is about the worst.

-
Back