How much paint?

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm getting a 1968 Dart 2 door hard top ready for paint. I want to order paint online but don't know how much.

For those of you who have painted their A bodies, how much paint, reducer, hardener should I get?

I want to paint her a Champagne fine metallic (body, door jambs, trunk, etc)

and secondly, should I get a single stage or two stage paint? I have two darts and this one I want to sell, but I also want to do a decent job.

Thank you!

4 qts of paint

Check when you order the paint as sometimes it comes as a package.

If you have to get it seperatley....

1 qt of hardener

4 qts of reducer

I would suggest a base clear if you are a novice painter. Also remember if you purchase a cheaper brand paint the coverage won't be as good and you will need more paint. A gallon non sprayable of color will usually get you close, unless you are doing jambs and such.

yea we go thru a gallon to about a gallon and a half of color depending on the gun... cheap guns waste alot of paint...

get more than you need so you have extra for touch up's and also so the paint is the same...

yea we go thru a gallon to about a gallon and a half of color depending on the gun... cheap guns waste alot of paint...

get more than you need so you have extra for touch up's and also so the paint is the same...

I agree, I have gotten away with 3 quarts of paint on some complete paint jobs with certain colors and others up to 2 gallons of paint.

Got to your local autobody paint supply store and have them set you up. If you dont know where one is locally, stop by a good body shop and ask where they get their materials.

You will walk out with everything you need.

Got to your local autobody paint supply store and have them set you up. If you dont know where one is locally, stop by a good body shop and ask where they get their materials.

You will walk out with everything you need.

x2 dont buy it online thats just not good

I'm ordering from tcpglobal.com because my brother in law works at their warehouse (not really ordering online, just have to call them up and my brother in law brings it to me)...getting a slight discount.

I'm still debating whether I should do a single stage or not...I'm leaning to what's cheaper for now since I probably won't get my money out of the dart...not many people are buying these days.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll post pictures once the car is painted!

I've heard really good results from people who use this. One guy at my church sells NAPA paint but used TCP because of the cost on a 66 Ford he did and it really looks great. Of course like everything else its the person applying the paint that makes it look really good. He used the base coat clear coat. Let us know how it turns out.
Take your time and good luck.

I could be wrong but if you are going to paint a metallic you will have to go base/clear. I just ordered the paint for my Barracuda and I ordered a gallon of color, 2 quarts of clear and 2 quarts and 2 half pints of hardner. I am going single stage PPG Concept with a custom red mix. Last 2 coats will be 1/2 color 1/2 clear. Hope to have the car in color by the end of September as I will be painting it in my driveway:pirat:
Rat

I'm ordering from tcpglobal.com because my brother in law works at their warehouse (not really ordering online, just have to call them up and my brother in law brings it to me)...getting a slight discount.

I'm still debating whether I should do a single stage or not...I'm leaning to what's cheaper for now since I probably won't get my money out of the dart...not many people are buying these days.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll post pictures once the car is painted!

so just tell your brother in law before he goes to work and he will bring it home
have him order the stuff

-
Back