How much should it be shortened....

-

Hell_Fish

Reaction score
How much should I get the driveshaft shortened on my 65? I added a 8 1/4 and need a rough guess to get quotes while I'm at work.

Thanks

I would call your drivesgaft shop and ask them what exact measurements you need from them.
Different shops ask you for different measurements.

My local shop asked me to measure the very rear surface of the output shaft splines to the flat mating surface of the rear yoke which would be the center of the rear U-joint.
This measurement should be made with the car on the ground.

You should have at least 1.5" to 2 " of forward travel of the front yoke while installed.
This will assure you that when the pinion angle changes under load, the driveshaft has some room to travel forward.
Too much travel and you are gonna jam up your transmission guts or the thrust bearing on the engine.

Have you already ditched the ball and trunnion drive line or are you planning on a hybrid drive shaft? If the shop doesn't know what you want when you tell them the situation, find another shop. All I have to tell our local drive line shop is "I am swapping an 8 1/4" into a '65 Valiant" and they know what you want. I once towed a car to their shop and drove it home an hour later (440/727 and 8 3/4" into a Feather Duster).

-
Back