how much slip yoke play

-

Reaction score
Does anybody know how much play there should be on the slip yoke or tailshaft side to side movement on a A-833 transmission. I have a major wobble in the driveshaft i can wiggle the tailshaft in the transmission probably 2 0r 3 mm. seems to much . the transmission was just rebuilt with new bearings and synchros. maybe a snap ring has failed.Can anybody try and wiggle the drive shaft on there ride and see if they get any play at the yoke.

thanks all

I do not have a manual transmission but I can't think of any reason that a manual would have any different slip yoke travel. When I had a driveshaft made for my auto the shop stated that 1-1 1/4 inch of travel was all that is needed.
If you remove the rear universal straps and check your travel at the tail shaft ,you shouldn't have anymore than an 1-1 1/4 inch of travel. Mark the slip yoke at the tailshaft and then push the slip yoke as far as it will travel into the tailshaft and mark it again the distance between the two marks is the amount of travel you have. I used a black sharpie to mark mine. Hope this helps with your manual tranny.

thanks for the reply. I probably didnt word it properly. i would like to know if there should be any play in the output shaft of the transmission from side to side.

The amount of the transmission out put shaft play is controled by the yoke and the yoke side to side play is controled by a bronze bushing that is pressed into the tailshaft housing. Most people don't know or do not have the proper tool to pull it out.

Do you have to pull the tranny or can the tailshaft bushing be removed with the tranny in the car.

Do you have to pull the tranny or can the tailshaft bushing be removed with the tranny in the car.

No, it can be replaced with the trans in the car with the right tools. Get in touch with a local transmission shop and see what they charge.

thanks for the help. So what your saying is the tailshaft should come off whithout tranny removal. Thats great news i have removed the trans twice this year to install new clutch etc. I don't want to hall it out again if i don't have to.

There's a special puller that can reach in and grab the bushing. It has to be able to clear the output shaft. I don't know what's needed to install the new one.

-
Back