How much timing can it take

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
Been fidling whid the timing on my 400bb now im at 18° initial and 42° total no vacuum it has a prutty stout cam i dont knowe the specs but it sounds helty and yes its a low comp engine iv decided to stop at this point,no pinging and stady at 180°f when crusing,any body gone fader than 42

You are already in the danger zone. Start by determining if your marks are accurate, aka piston stop

depends how low the compression actually is...... I run my 318 at 20* initial and 40* total. No pinging, performs the best, starts great. Been this way for about 6 years now. However, if you are at 42* total, sounds like you are at the upper spectrum. If I were in your place, I'd see if it liked a couple more degrees of INITIAL, curve it all in by 2800 rpms, and set the total to about 38* and see how it likes it. FBO plate is your friend.

The 18 initial is ok. That 42 total is too much. you need to limit total to about 32-34 on a big block.

42 is pushing your luck, imo, but maybe okay with a 7.5-8.5 engine.
With quite a bit more compression, mine runs best at 38, but 36 is safer, and runs nearly as well with less worry about detonation.

Have you tried this [ you should do, if not done]: engine idling, rotate dist for highest idle rpm. For a low comp engine with a stout cam, I'll bet is a LOT more than 18*....
Report back.

-
Back