How much weight gain from adding a Dana and roll cage.

-
Mine I took a picture of on the scale after making a pass and posted it on here. Not all that long ago( this past summer). And anybody who has seen it knows it has no glass and no stripped down interior. And knows the size of me ..lol
I am a hater of people who say there car is heavier to make it sound faster.
I'm going to say what weighs when I figure it out.
How much did your 69 weigh. I think those cars are heavier than a 70 to start off. But I know I'm adding extra weight and won't have any glass parts off the bat & will be adding in additional bars because I'll probably end up replacing my floor. So more framing too.

I'm going to say what weighs when I figure it out.
How much did your 69 weigh. I think those cars are heavier than a 70 to start off. But I know I'm adding extra weight and won't have any glass parts off the bat.

With my 330 in it and about 8 gallons of fuel( have a 15 gallon cell) it was 3360.
8 point MS cage, pro car seats, full carpet, headliner, door panels, dash etc, etc.
factory hood, bumpers, glass, etc.

I saw a rat motored 67 ElCamino once that was claimed to be 4600 lbs at the starting line. I didn't believe it .....till I saw the driver get out.

He was 600 lbs, and the drivers side of the car,went up two or three inches when he got out, lol!

When I had my 70 Duster on super stock springs I sorted the suspension to get it to launch straight and wheelie straight. Played around a good bit with torsion bar settings sitting in the car.
I measured from the ground to a spot on the fender both ways, both sides, back and forth, till I found a happy spot.
there was about 1/2 to 5/8 inch difference with me out of the car :rolleyes:

With my 330 in it and about 8 gallons of fuel( have a 15 gallon cell) it was 3360.
8 point MS cage, pro car seats, full carpet, headliner, door panels, dash etc, etc.
Okay, that's good to hear. 12 point cage & actually 14 now, will be adding a few more bars. No interior besides the dash and a kirkey seat. Very narrow d60, split mono with assassin bars.
Strange front brakes, tunnel ram 470, 727 with some billet steel stuff, light wheels.
I will not be using factory glass again front and back because I don't want to buy new seals and mess with that hassle lol.

That's an almost perfect description of my 62 savoy. Around 3250 without me, and I'm 200 or so. (191 this morning, more after lunch, lol)

Been fighting weight for quite a while.
So, made a pact with myself. Until the scales start with a two my car isn’t coming off the showroom.
My wife will be the arbiter when that is.
probably need to start on vacation next week if I don’t want to miss any racing.

I started watching my weight a little in 2022 and lost 13 pounds. I lost 20 more in 2023 for a total of 33 pounds. No diet and very little exercise. Just trying to keep busier in the shop so I’m not sitting watching tv all day eating. I sure wish I could get back to walking but with two bad knees I can’t. I’m going to try to step it up some in 2024 to get my endurance up and do some house exercises and stationary bike.

I started watching my weight a little in 2022 and lost 13 pounds. I lost 20 more in 2023 for a total of 33 pounds. No diet and very little exercise. Just trying to keep busier in the shop so I’m not sitting watching tv all day eating. I sure wish I could get back to walking but with two bad knees I can’t. I’m going to try to step it up some in 2024 to get my endurance up and do some house exercises and stationary bike.
Swimming?

Just a rough weight but I had a 5 ft long .1 5/8 .120 wall and decided to weigh it.
10 pounds. With that, I can measure what I have total length and have a weight.
I didn't weigh the bench seat and rear seat but I bet the bench is atleast 90 pounds and the rear 20 pounds.
I'm also redoing the floor and will weigh what I cut out vs what I put back in.

Mine I took a picture of on the scale after making a pass and posted it on here. Not all that long ago( this past summer). And anybody who has seen it knows it has no glass and no stripped down interior. And knows the size of me ..lol
I am a hater of people who say there car is heavier to make it sound faster.

Don, does your car have the heater box, wipers and vent boxes?

At Bowling Green my 69 weighed 3292 with me, but without the exhaust and air cleaner, it did have the air pan, so it's a wash with the air cleaner.

It has the heavy bolt on fiberglass hood that can use the factory springs, which I removed and use a prop rod, a glass front bumper, Kirkey aluminum seats up front, factory rear seat, radio, heater with all the controls, factory replacement carpet, 6pt mild steel roll bar, 2 X 2 frame connectors, Strange S-60 with Wilwood brakes, the front suspension is all factory with the exception of aluminum adjustable strut rods and Strange brakes, aluminum headed R1 block and 727 and all factory glass. It's 3340# in street trim with me in it.

I wish it was lighter but I'm not cutting it up. If I ever build another it'll be a light weight.

At Bowling Green my 69 weighed 3292 with me, but without the exhaust and air cleaner, it did have the air pan, so it's a wash with the air cleaner.

It has the heavy bolt on fiberglass hood that can use the factory springs, which I removed and use a prop rod, a glass front bumper, Kirkey aluminum seats up front, factory rear seat, radio, heater with all the controls, factory replacement carpet, 6pt mild steel roll bar, 2 X 2 frame connectors, Strange S-60 with Wilwood brakes, the front suspension is all factory with the exception of aluminum adjustable strut rods and Strange brakes, aluminum headed R1 block and 727 and all factory glass. It's 3340# in street trim with me in it.

I wish it was lighter but I'm not cutting it up. If I ever build another it'll be a light weight.
Is your fiberglass heavier than the steel hood?

No heater box, has everything else except back seat.
Functioning wipers , stock headliner, dash, door panels, hood, bumpers, glass, etc, and 15 gallon cell.with it full I am right at 3400, but it rarely is.
I am 330 ish

Does anyone know if there's a weights thread of common parts that may be removed while building a drag car ?
I have a big pile of stuff I should weigh and post it.
Some of the stuff is so light it may be more work than worth the savings, but it does all add up.

No heater box, has everything else except back seat.
Functioning wipers , stock headliner, dash, door panels, hood, bumpers, glass, etc, and 15 gallon cell.with it full I am right at 3400, but it rarely is.
I am 330 ish
You're probably tired of the thing I used to say about you parking your dart in your house, but I still atleast once a month show my wife a picture and tell her " yeah it's in his house and his wife is totally fine with it".
She still says no !

My '67 Fastback has a Strange S-60, 8 point mild steel roll bar, sub frame connectors, and mild steel front bars welded to the fire wall. (removed inner fenders) 440 with aluminum heads and intake, 727.
I also have a fiberglass hood and trunk lid. Weight with me in it, and 1/2 tank of fuel: 3650 (I weigh 235-240)
How come the car is so heavy?

From what i understand is the Dana 60 is a much more efficient rear end than a 9 inch, i believe the dana and a GM 12 are the best.

You're probably tired of the thing I used to say about you parking your dart in your house, but I still atleast once a month show my wife a picture and tell her " yeah it's in his house and his wife is totally fine with it".
She still says no !

talking about car weight and stuff, we just got back from vacation. I had to dodge harpoons getting in and out of the water at the beach……
anyhow, told the wife I really enjoy living as we near retirement, and want to lose weight, but I always punk out after a short time.
So she says, what can we do to motivate you?
Thing I like most is getting in my car and going to the track…so I agreed to give her the key to it, and not return them to me until I can get on the scales and my weight starts with a two.
I am happy to report that as of this morning, I am down to 325, another 26 pounds to go to get the keys…. Hopefully I get there pre May 1st.

image.jpg

From what i understand is the Dana 60 is a much more efficient rear end than a 9 inch, i believe the dana and a GM 12 are the best.
Can you define "much more"? One of the car mags did an article years ago and yes, the Dana and 12 bolt needed less torque than the 9". But, if it was a substantial amount, you can bet the guys running the fast heads up stuff would be running Danas and 12 bolts and the aftermarket support for them would be there too.

talking about car weight and stuff, we just got back from vacation. I had to dodge harpoons getting in and out of the water at the beach……
anyhow, told the wife I really enjoy living as we near retirement, and want to lose weight, but I always punk out after a short time.
Thing I like most is getting in my car and going to the track…so I agreed to give her the key to it, and not return them to me until I can get on the scales and my weight starts with a two.
I am happy to report that as of this morning, I am down to 325, another 26 pounds to go to get the keys…. Hopefully I get there pre May 1st.

View attachment 1716197706
Stay with it Don, you can reach your goal and more if you make up your mind to do it!

View attachment 1716197706
Right on, I can't give any advice on losing weight since for now, my weight fluctuates with seasonal change lol.
I can look from just reading and seeing stuff and it definitely takes determination and drive to get the stuff you have, it's not easy to be successful & it looks like all you need is to redirect a bit of that into just yourself. It won't take any time at all.

Stay with it Don, you can reach your goal and more if you make up your mind to do it!
I have been such a quitter a number of times. Hopefully taking away the car motivates me. No way my wife will cave and give the keys back until she is looking over my shoulder and sees what the scale needs to show…lol.
And I don’t want her to.I know she won’t.
Haven't weighed under 300 since I was in my 50’s, I am 68.

Can you define "much more"? One of the car mags did an article years ago and yes, the Dana and 12 bolt needed less torque than the 9". But, if it was a substantial amount, you can bet the guys running the fast heads up stuff would be running Danas and 12 bolts and the aftermarket support for them would be there too.
Seems like with all the fab 9 producers and part availability that might be why people choose the 9 over dana

I have been such a quitter a number of times. Hopefully taking away the car motivates me. No way my wife will cave and give the keys back until she is looking over my shoulder and sees what the scale needs to show…lol.
And I don’t want her to.I know she won’t.
Haven't weighed under 300 since I was in my 50’s, I am 68.
Wow, you better get cracking quick. The one thing I always try to remember and live by is I never get to redo anything and I never get time back so everything has to have a purpose

Does anyone know if there's a weights thread of common parts that may be removed while building a drag car ?
I have a big pile of stuff I should weigh and post it.
Some of the stuff is so light it may be more work than worth the savings, but it does all add up.
Search the internet archives of bigblockdart.com for "put your big block dart on a diet."

-
Back