How Race Cars Die

-

12many

Reaction score
Perusing Faceplant and elsewhere for old rolling chassis Mopars: Just as interesting as the story of who built it, it’s life as a raced car, is the story of how it ended up in its current state. I’ve seen quite a few old drag cars that have seen better days, out in the country mostly seemingly put out to pasture, typical Chevys but no Mopars. Always fancied snagging one of these era cars and resurrecting it. This one is a bit more ragged than I’d prefer. Anyone ever rescue something this far gone? :eek:
Anyone got before and afters and some backstory of resurrections? Pictures?

CDC95DF0-B50A-463A-8184-4B9C3031E59E.jpeg

22633571-436C-4DD0-BFD2-B1307A07C820.jpeg

EC39AAA2-A417-4A0E-96E0-F47F90C3ED8A.jpeg

Last edited:
WIRE-NC-4.jpg
today.jpg
Are the missing front body parts available?
And the quarter window area? There is something missing there also.
I don't know that it is something I would actually race but it could be made to look really cool... like a full scale model car.
This Duster sat in the grass by Don Carlton's dad's house for a while. It was built for a 340 based pro stock engine which, at that time, they never got competitive. This car was never raced by Carlton. BUT, it sure looked good. I used to take friends and drive 30 minutes just to do a drive by viewing in the mid 70s.

Last edited:
Ad mentions there is a front clip.

20211024_173611.jpg
This ex-Mark Pawuk pro stock Arrow was listed for sale a few years ago on racingjunk.com with IIRC, a 440 and automatic turn-key for around $12,500 in AZ. A long way from me but, if I didn't already have a Dart Sport project in my garage, I would have been making a road trip.

That would make a great cruiser weekend street rod with a 408 under the hood. Get a glass windshield, make it street worthy and drive it. $1200 I bet they would take a G for it.

That car is not that bad off from what I see, not to mean it will be a dirt cheap project even if you persue it that way

That would make a great cruiser weekend street rod with a 408 under the hood. Get a glass windshield, make it street worthy and drive it. $1200 I bet they would take a G for it.
Chit man it'd be a great cruiser with a stock 2 barrel 318.

I actually bought this 86 Charger over the summer, looked great in the ad and pics...until I drove 6 hours to buy it. Definitely in over my head but no turning back now!
I recommend really looking over the frame/chassis work/cage before you jump in. I thought about starting a thread on here showing all the screwed up stuff I've found with mine, still might.

charger.jpg

For $1200 asking, I would roll the dice and drag it home.

Screenshot_20190524-155935.png

I'm almost positive I've seen this car at a car show locally, but it's been a long time...
I would love to get one of these iconic paint jobs on my Duster...

View attachment 1715838506 View attachment 1715838507 Are the missing front body parts available?
And the quarter window area? There is something missing there also.
I don't know that it is something I would actually race but it could be made to look really cool... like a full scale model car.
This Duster sat in the grass by Don Carlton's dad's house for a while. It was built for a 340 based pro stock engine which, at that time, they never got competitive. This car was never raced by Carlton. BUT, it sure looked good. I used to take friends and drive 30 minutes just to do a drive by viewing in the mid 70s.
I wonder if @HemiDenny has seen those photos?

View attachment 1715838520This ex-Mark Pawuk pro stock Arrow was listed for sale a few years ago on racingjunk.com with IIRC, a 440 and automatic turn-key for around $12,500 in AZ. A long way from me but, if I didn't already have a Dart Sport project in my garage, I would have been making a road trip.
I would love a Pro Stock Arrow for the street. (not enough to pursue one and sell off my 2 cars to buy one though)

There used to be a T/A Challenger here in Boise that was campaigned from new till the mid 70s then just parked in the garage . I had a chance to see it and talk to the original owner.
It was a time capsule with no miles on it . I think Stock Eliminator...
Somewhere I have pics of it. Heard he sold it a few years back .

I also ran across a 69 Z28 crossram car while buying an old carb of CL. Guy bought it in 72 and raced it for a year then decided he wanted a bigger engine so he traded the 302 for a 350 . ... intake and all ! Yes he realizes his mistake now . Maybe 40k on that car.

I would love a Pro Stock Arrow for the street. (not enough to pursue one and sell off my 2 cars to buy one though)
That would be so cool. At least for me though, it would have to have the correct rake, height, tire tuck front and rear. No compromise on any of it. I have never been a fan of back-half modded cars where the rear looks like a drag car and the front looks like a street car.

Last edited:
I wonder if @HemiDenny has seen those photos?
Yes. I used to talk to his brother @Old Man Mopar a lot. I messaged him when he used one of those pictures as his avatar. We both exchanged probably all the related pictures we had. I only met Don Carlton a couple of times. After he died, I got to be really close friends with Clyde Hodges though. Clyde taught me a lot. Got to see several pro stock cars built including the Sox & Martin 78 Dodge Challenger and the 79 Plymouth Arrow of Canadian Alban Gauthier. Clyde did everything from bumper to bumper except the paint job.

Last edited:
I actually bought this 86 Charger over the summer, looked great in the ad and pics...until I drove 6 hours to buy it. Definitely in over my head but no turning back now!
I recommend really looking over the frame/chassis work/cage before you jump in. I thought about starting a thread on here showing all the screwed up stuff I've found with mine, still might.

View attachment 1715839582
Something like that minus thedrivetrain would be ideal for what I hope to do someday, invest a bit of sweat equity, but all the hard work already done.

Here's one that I saved body was bought from junk yard and stored in building for about 38 yrs original paint car raced C altered 383 4spd tunnel ram took me about 10yrs before he would sell it The last is a pic from car show in the 70s that someone found and gave me
65 cuda pick up.jpg
P1010001.JPG
cuda car show.jpg

-
Back