How rare is this bird?

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
Just ran across a 72 roadrunner that really struck me kinda odd. Its a U code 440 with a four speed, air grabber, and a dana 60. Bucket seats and a console with a pistol grip. Anyone know how rare these options were in 72 on a roadrunner? The car is complete and solid. Same owner for the last 35 years.

where are the pics lol . the roadrunner was available with the GTX as an option. 71 was the last year for the GTX as a seperate model. the GTX option on the 72 runner included the 440 and trim etc etc. so what i think you see is a roadrunner gtx. but we cant see it lol.

Attachments

• gtx.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 486
sounds like a pretty rare combo , whats the price , condition etc ? in 86 my friend bought a 71 v code , black on black , auto , airgrabber , 8.75 RR for $150 running & driving , man those days are gone.....

sounds like a pretty rare combo , whats the price , condition etc ? in 86 my friend bought a 71 v code , black on black , auto , airgrabber , 8.75 RR for $150 running & driving , man those days are gone.....

No ****, we had no idea how good we had it right then. Gas prices were to go to $3 soon and nobody wanted those cars. 55 mph was still the rage.

Too bad they were not built like that for 10--20 years, too bad indeed--we got suv's instead that hog up the fast lanes and get the same mpg

Sorry no pics at the moment. It is a 100% rust free arizona car with 60k original miles. He has owned it for 35 years.

Sorry no pics at the moment. It is a 100% rust free arizona car with 60k original miles. He has owned it for 35 years.

well the second you can get a pic of the fender tag and the car post it up. im guessing the guy wants a mint for it. i bought my first 70 plum crazy super bee , white interior buckets, console, reverse C stripe car for 800 bucks in the late 80s before the market went completely insane..those WERE the days......

Very rare ,they built 219 cars with a 440,4 speed.The airgrabber is rare in 71 and I would say very rare in 72.Here is a pic of my 71.I would love to have the car you found.

Jim

Attachments

• roadrunner%20ebay%20pics%20%2845%29[1].jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 424
where are the pics lol . the roadrunner was available with the GTX as an option. 71 was the last year for the GTX as a seperate model. the GTX option on the 72 runner included the 440 and trim etc etc. so what i think you see is a roadrunner gtx. but we cant see it lol.

That is correct. I had a #'s 71 GTX,,,,with the OEM rocker moldings. Some parts are 71 GTX only. I have seen only 1 72 Road Rotter with the GTX option or is that GTX with the RR option...LOL. It caught me off guard the first time too. 71 was the last of the GTX. Nice find. If you can, buy it. If not I will buy it.:prayer:

Sounds like a car I was drooling over last year @ the Russo Auction. I was floored when it was bid to over $100K. It was pristine and well documented IIRC. Here's a few pics I have of it. Good Luck :thumbup:

Attachments

• Auction Cars 029.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 443
  • Auction Cars 030.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 425
  • Auction Cars 031.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 392
  • Auction Cars 032.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 413
Sounds like a car I was drooling over last year @ the Russo Auction. I was floored when it was bid to over $100K. It was pristine and well documented IIRC. Here's a few pics I have of it. Good Luck :thumbup:

thats a rare one for sure with the sunroof/vinyl top/4 speed/ air grabber with the voice recorder.vitamin C orange 72 RR GTX

Thanks for the inspiration C! This one doesnt look to be as well optioned as the one you posted but I havent been able to get a picture of the fender tag yet so I am not sure what options it really has. It's B7 blue with a black bucket interior. Sounds like it really is a rare bird. What would be a good price on this thing? I know, no pictures yet!

Thanks for the inspiration C! This one doesnt look to be as well optioned as the one you posted but I havent been able to get a picture of the fender tag yet so I am not sure what options it really has. It's B7 blue with a black bucket interior. Sounds like it really is a rare bird. What would be a good price on this thing? I know, no pictures yet!

the value on a bird of that feather is going to be how bad someone wants it and is willing to pay, not to mention the condition and how much paperwork you can get your hands on. trim tag/build sheet ETC ETC. and of course what kind of options it is equipped with and still retains. pics are essential here ,to even begin to put a ballpark figure on it. and im talking 20-30 pics of every aspect and angle...

Here is a thread from moparts that i barrowed to give you some type of help.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7103920&an=0&page=1#Post7103920
I can tell you I looked at one close to me last year that was a 72 GTX 440,auto,B5 blue,white buckets,console,tape deck,sunroof,power window,airgrabber car,factory tach, loaded up, matching numbers original california car and very solid. As best I remember he had it for sale at $14,000 and it did sell. I would say that the 4 speed and the dana really help the car you found.
Matt

72 GTX 440,auto,B5 blue,white buckets,console,tape deck,sunroof,power window,airgrabber car,factory tach, loaded up, matching numbers original california car and very solid. As best I remember he had it for sale at $14,000 and it did sell. I would say that the 4 speed and the dana really help the car you found.
Matt

14k is a great price if this was an original driver

I must have it....
Will the seller take my children???
(Nah BS, my Son is 28 and no one will pay me what I am in him...)

the value on a bird of that feather is going to be how bad someone wants it and is willing to pay, not to mention the condition and how much paperwork you can get your hands on. trim tag/build sheet ETC ETC. and of course what kind of options it is equipped with and still retains. pics are essential here ,to even begin to put a ballpark figure on it. and im talking 20-30 pics of every aspect and angle...

Don't know that I would have called the car local to me a driver condition, as it had been off of the road for probably 20 years. It did also need a complete resto, but it was all there together and a numbers matching car. I also thought the price was good as well.
Matt

-
Back