How the hell do you remove the power steering box

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Ok so I'm super frustrated now :banghead:, ready to beat something with a hammer . I'm trying to get my ps box out of my car 1973 dodge dart sport . 318 ci hooker headers. I seriously removed everything . Torsion bar , ps pump , center link, steering column.the header is unbolted , exhaust is off, all the bolts on the ps box are out . I can't get it out no matter what I try . Move the header up down try a angle . Nothing the box keeps on getting stuck on it no matter what I do . I'm super confused ???? Anybody knows how to get it out ??

Thanks guys.

1. rent or borrow a pitman arm puller. 2. remove nut and washer that holds pitman arm to steering box. 3. place puller between arm and shaft. 4. remove pitman arm. 5. separate steering shaft from box @ coupler. 6. remove 3 bolts that hold steering box to k-member. 7. remove steering box from car. 8. put all that stuff you removed back on car because you didn't need to remove them in the first place.

you can't remove it with the engine and header in there.. pull header out..lift engine up/out as high as possible... then it will come out.. good luck

I removed everything you said and pulled the pitman arm and idler arm off . I basically followed your steps 383 scamp man, plus more lol . An it's not coming out keeps on getting stuck on the header . The header is loose , the ps box is loose . No matter what I try to do I canot get the Hedder out , or th ps box .

Would removing the starter allow the header to move further ?
Just a thought. I've never messed with a-body headers.

i just replaced 1 last week, have to have manifold or header off, pitman arm off, and unbolt motor mount on driver side to frame and use engine hoist to lift motor up on one side till it comes out, i think you have to lift about an inch.

1. rent or borrow a pitman arm puller. 2. remove nut and washer that holds pitman arm to steering box. 3. place puller between arm and shaft. 4. remove pitman arm. 5. separate steering shaft from box @ coupler. 6. remove 3 bolts that hold steering box to k-member. 7. remove steering box from car. 8. put all that stuff you removed back on car because you didn't need to remove them in the first place.

Sorry, not with headers.

you can't remove it with the engine and header in there.. pull header out..lift engine up/out as high as possible... then it will come out.. good luck

Exactly. As long as the header is in the engine compartment the power steering box will be too. It depends on the header, but more than likely you'll need to lift the engine off the driver's side engine mount by an inch or two in order to get the header out.

And to install/remove the header, you probably did need to drop the steering linkage, torsion bar, and starter. Varies a little depending on the brand of header.

And the header needs to come out the bottom. You'll be forever and a day trying to get it out the top.

loosen the motor mounts, and jack the engine up with a floor jack and a block of wood under the oil pan to give some clearance (it might even tilt to one side).

Ok guys the whole jacking up , using a cherry picker trick worked . Thank you so much !!!!!! Still took about a hour of fighting with it , but I finally got it out:) . Yay now I could sleep without this bothering me haha. So would this been such a pain in the *** if I had block hugger/ shortie headers ?

So would this been such a pain in the *** if I had block hugger/ shortie headers ?

Probably not. Long tube A-body headers are a special kind of pain. But it probably still wouldn't have been just a "unbolt the power steering box" scenario.

Yea I just learned that today. I think invented new swear words when I was doing this haha . I was just wondering , because pretty soon I'm gonna build my 360 to drop in there and was just wondering if would have been a better idea to swap over to shorties / block huggers.

They have their own problems. Mostly the really intricate bends most of them need on the head pipes to get them tied into the rest of the exhaust.

What headers do you have now?

I found out a while back that the time to fix the power steering box is when the engine is out of the car. It's a real pain otherwise.

-
Back