How to access console shifter bulb 74 duster

-

ledman

'74 Duster 360
Reaction score
780E65C2-19F8-48FC-8140-C29E438C2F2D.jpeg
just picked up this ‘74 Duster yesterday ...the shifter light was working and now it’s not. I don’t want to break anything so I just need to ask how to properly access the console to change out the bulb.
Thanks

Drivers side of console, lift carpet up and wiggle your arm in. Other option is pull the console ashtray and go in there.
Get an anorexic midget too.

If I recall its a plastic push in style bulb holder. Get your fingers on it and pull it out.
There should be a cut out on the side of the console so you can get to it. Lift up the flap of carpet and you will see.

If I recall its a plastic push in style bulb holder. Get your fingers on it and pull it out.
There should be a cut out on the side of the console so you can get to it. Lift up the flap of carpet and you will see.
Ok great I’ll given a shot tomorrow. Do you know the bulb number? Sometimes the numbers on the existing bulb are hard to read and my eyes ain’t what they used to be

Not a 194 bulb, its a bayonet round base.

mine Does take a 194 bulb but the problem is a standard bulb is too long and won’t go back into the hole all the way,(that’s what she said!) the led light that was in there had a flat top, so I need to find one like it so I can put the socket back into place properly and mine just pushes in and pulls out.

AND WHAT A PITA!!! Why wouldn't they make the wire to the socket longer!!?
I mean holy crap I had myself all twisted up laying on the drivers side floor lol I almost could not get myself out of that position but with a few choice words and some grunting, I did get out, obviously.
Terrible! whoever designed that setup needs a good slap.
This is a pic of the “bulb” that was in there. I did put a new bulb in to test it,
49D27097-B38C-4A8A-8213-BFE0B5270703.jpeg
556C9F92-7077-4D6D-A557-489787D2BF43.jpeg
and it worked so the old one just happened to die I guess.

Well, maybe someone changed the socket or mopar started using 194's there in the later years. All the ones I have seen are the small bayonet base round bulbs.
Also, should be enough slack to pull the socket out the bottom of the console....maybe someone did splice that 194 holder in there and shortened the wire in the process.

Well, maybe someone changed the socket or mopar started using 194's there in the later years. All the ones I have seen are the small bayonet base round bulbs.
Also, should be enough slack to pull the socket out the bottom of the console....maybe someone did splice that 194 holder in there and shortened the wire in the process.
That’s my guess too...I had actually done the same thing in another car I had but I gave plenty of length of wire just for this reason m.
I mean come one put a little extra wire there! It barely comes out the side of the console I have to reach my right hand in to hold the socket so I could pull the bulb out. Local stores do it have a flat topped led but they have them on eBay pretty cheap.

-
Back