How To Beat the Siphoners

-

bootsnbolts

Reaction score
so we've got a siphoner in our neighborhood, and considering the state of our economy, it's likely to get worse for all of us.

one of the issues that arose for my poor lola recently was that she got hit and drained, and died a block from our house with an empty fuel line. we checked emma, sure enough, full tank yesterday, drained as well. lola also had a 3/4 tank.

one of the probs that arose when we got hit was it forced a lot of nasty crap up out of my tank (desperately need recore), killed my fuel filter, and my girl ran like cr*p. tons of stalling. we fixed the ignition issue, but still stalling. i now have two extra metal fuel filters to change out over the next few weeks till this is clear...anyhoo...

(sending unit filter shot, basically)

SO MUCH nasty in that fuel filter! also did an oil change, he said it was the worst he's ever seen. we decided instead of doing a full recore, which i can't afford due to the steering box and alignment expense, we'd put some b-12 in the tank and run it through.

so it occured to me to fill that....er....LOLA up with gas, add the gallon/ounce ratio of b-12, run her a bit then let her sit as bait for the siphoner.

how would you like a mouth full of b-12?

maybe won't touch my effing car again!

<insert many curse words here>

yes but this way you also help clear your fuel lines, as well as making some tweeker suffer.

i rely on my car to get daycare kids to school, as well as my own. it pays the rent. i lose my job if i blow it with my car.

i'll be getting a custom locking cap from daniel stern for $35. it's compatible with 60-66. we've covered this ground, i just wanted to share my vengeance plan. thank you for the suggestion.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

what sucks is that i need that money for a head job.

gas-theivin' tweekers suck!

also i am going to get a good hood lock.

Over here, the thieving sods just jam a star screwdriver in your fuel tank, and drain it from underneath......then you have a fuel tank with a hole in it.....:(.....and a locking cap that didn't stop them.

I had a clown try to steal my gas once, about 3 in the morning, I hear what sounds like someone raking leaves, look out the window, there's one in my side yard raking, and one with a hose in my charger, I grab the gun, slide out the back door, thank the one raking, and show him the back way off my property, walk around front, hose boy hears me as I get behind him, he said, joe get back around there and keep a lookout, I place the barrel at the base of his skull, inform him that I ain't joe, and if he likes my gas so much, to drink up, he says, won't that hurt me? I said not as bad as being shot, made him drink a few good gulps,kicked him in the toy sack, and told him to tell all his friends to stay clear of my tanks and anything I own.

If only more of these crap flinging monkeys could get shown the business end of a barrel and the type of hospitality (drink up!) provided by Mac Dad. Did you ask the idiot why he was raking your leaves?

Maybe Urine of course I am not sure how that would work in your gas tank but.
The next night yo could leave a sign on your car that says you just drank my piss

Over here, the thieving sods just jam a star screwdriver in your fuel tank, and drain it from underneath......then you have a fuel tank with a hole in it.....:(.....and a locking cap that didn't stop them.
Would that have been Psycho Paul by any chance???

Locking gas caps are easily removed, ask me how I know..........

Im surpised no one has said this one.
Weld a colander like plate in your filler tube, then no moron can syphon your gas.
Also, theres a lot of clever people down here and NONE of them use their mouth to syphon gas, they use a syphon pump that sucks it in one end and spits it out the other.

If only more of these crap flinging monkeys could get shown the business end of a barrel and the type of hospitality (drink up!) provided by Mac Dad. Did you ask the idiot why he was raking your leaves?

it was to distract me from his buddy, but it didn't work.

What they do here in Socal is punch a hole in the tank and drain what they want and leave the rest to fall on the ground.

They used to hit company trucks at the dealership I worked at, they really liked finding jerry cans in the back of the truck too.

We mixed up a jerry can of gas, drained a few old batteries of acid into it as well as some bleach.

Suddenly the gas theft stopped after they took that can.

I have a Mopar locking gas cap... if you press really hard, it'll engage and spin off without the key. Deterrent, but not foolproof.

Consider they may also just put a screwdriver through your tank if they want it that bad. If I caught somebody hitting my daily driver, I'd happily burn the car to the ground just to watch them spew fire while their lungs roasted. Doubt I'd be able to catch 'em though :-(

A lot of yall need to move to better neighborhoods.

The siphoners come to the good neighborhoods to get the gas.

yes, they do...i live in a good neighborhood. well, working class, but clean and relatively crime free, there are also a lot of other classics in my hood. the classics are of course easier to hit. what pisses me off is i use my car for running kids and doing after school daycare, if i ran out of gas with kids in the car it could be ugly. above and beyond that, anyone messing with my car PERIOD boils my blood. had my deck lid kicked in by one of the ex'es (we just split up) 'friends' and it's a $500-700 damage. right before that happened, his ex cut his brake lines and more.

who rakes their freaking yard at 3 AM? they must have been tweekers. that's definitely a great story!

good to know all of this stuff, thanks so much! and thanks for helping to bring some levity to the situation. i guess i should be grateful i don't have a hole in my tank. who DOES that!!!! jeebus!

I live out of town aways. About 1000' in front of us, down the hill is Lake Spokane. Neighbor has said he has had gas go missing once. Following weekend had a knock on his door, it was the siphoner coming to replace the gas he took. His boat ran out of fuel the week before and he "borrowed" some from my neighbor, who was at work....nice to know not everybody is a jackass.......

I remember back in the 70's when gas got expensive stores sold a spring that you
twisted into your gas tank that prevented siphoning. I looked on Ebay under
anti-theft tank spring item #170423689205 and they are still sold for $9.99 each.
It won't stop someone from knocking a hole in the bottom of the tank but it will
stop them from siphoning it. I still like the locking cap but this will keep the car looking
original.

excellent suggestions! the only one that wouldn't work for me is a fuel cell, had one of those in my '67 valiant and it sucked. it was a five gallon, major pain to open and close (NO ONE at the gas stations could do it), and i ran out of gas frequently. the safety factor is also a consideration.

I second the motion for the old spring -in-the-filler trick. However the gun idea has merit.

-
Back