How to build a SuperStock k-member

-
RMCHRGR - Very nice ! That's exactly what I meant by building a tubular k-member.

OK, I posted my how-to. Now let's see yours... ~{:>)

Southernman

Ha, yeah right. Not mine, I swiped it from Moparts. Guy named Bondo Bob. Does primo work as you can see. Just thought I'd share it here.:thumleft:

Drag racers have been doing that mod for a very long time now. Never hered of one having any trouble from it.

drag racers don't turn , load a car with 4 people , hit large pot holes and other things that affect a street driven car . Cutting a section will change where the k member is stressed , not just the area you modified , just sayin .
Might be no problem with what was done , don't have te time to run simulations to check ot what was done . A lot of work goes into design , small changes often have big consequences .

And not knocking your design/work , just questioning .

drag racers don't turn , load a car with 4 people , hit large pot holes and other things that affect a street driven car . Cutting a section will change where the k member is stressed , not just the area you modified , just sayin .
Might be no problem with what was done , don't have te time to run simulations to check ot what was done . A lot of work goes into design , small changes often have big consequences .

See I think you have a point because the overall shape of the K frame has become more of a wide horseshoe shape after the ss mod. I was thinking it might flex some in real world driving. Would be a great race car mod for sure.

This is one that i build

Attachments

• 2011-04-01_14-28-22_654.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 415
  • 2011-04-02_19-19-13_67.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 2011-04-03_18-55-10_670.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 2011-04-03_18-55-19_860.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 438

Jerry, you make some valid points here and, to your points, Super Stock-type mods are not intended for road/rally racing or challenging the twisites - though I wouldn't hesitate to run such with my k-member mods. The main reason for the mod is for guys running very large pans and those wanting to simplify maintenance in a street/strip car.

Also, when you do a comparative analysis, and compare it with tubular units from other mfgs, it's still a much more beefy (and heavier) unit - and there are a lot of Mopar folks running those systems on the street.

On "stress analysis"; I'm perfectly comfortable running k-members with such mods, since I've done it for the past 30+ years, and because no one can point me to a k-member failure within the, notoriously, wheel standing myriad of (9-second) cars who've been successfully racing them (modded k-members) since the 60's.

If you think the mods posted here are radical, go back through the archives and look at many of the 'hole saw' mods performed on k-members (and bodies and frames) back in the 60's and 70's. In fact, Bill Maverick Golden attributes the crashing of his first Little Red Wagon to the overly aggressive approach/use of a hole saw - it was literally swiss cheesed from top to bottom !

Not trying to start an argument here, as I know it's not for everyone. So, if you don't feel comfortable with the mod - nor require such a mod - enjoy what you've got. Stock is great and reliable too.

But to many of us, Super Stock is tops. My 'how to' was posted for guys that just can't seem to leave anything stock, but I'd never compromise safety, since my family and I routinley cruise in my hotrods as well... ~{:>)

Southernman

This is one that i build

Racingduster, that is one sweet k-member !

I'm surprised at the talent pool within the Mopar community. Just when I thought I was sharing a great mod, you guys start posting stuff that looks like it should be hanging in an art gallery ! I love it !

Again, nice job !

Southernman

Racingduster, that is one sweet k-member !

I'm surprised at the talent pool within the Mopar community. Just when I thought I was sharing a great mod, you guys start posting stuff that looks like it should be hanging in an art gallery ! I love it !

Again, nice job !

Southernman

Thank you! Chromoly is fun to work with

Hey rmchrgr did you built that? On the car or in a jig?

-
Back