How to buy a classic long distance

-
If it’s an early A I’d pay a local familiar with them. Or someone local enough to say trip for some $$$. There are few parts one can buy for rusty early As, and the parts that are sold usually need some loving to actually look better than good. Paying someone a few hundred plus expenses will save that cost plus...

Duggie, you haven’t said anything about your skill level or what your plans are. If you are reasonably skilled and don’t mind a project, buying long distance might not be too bad.

If you are planning on buying and driving & you have to pay to have stuff done, then then the risk goes way up for a disaster.

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to get an idea of your risk tolerance.

Great question! I was just lamenting to the little woman that I somehow never learned to weld.

I was a nut buster through my 20s. VW, early Jag, lots of British Leyland, and Detroit steel. Real good with wiring. Mechanically, a 60's Dart would be old home week. I keep pretty much everything repaired I've ever owned from motorcycles to boats and airplanes.

I'm a lost sole when it comes to body work and upholstery though.

Great question! I was just lamenting to the little woman that I somehow never learned to weld.

I was a nut buster through my 20s. VW, early Jag, lots of British Leyland, and Detroit steel. Real good with wiring. Mechanically, a 60's Dart would be old home week. I keep pretty much everything repaired I've ever owned from motorcycles to boats and airplanes.

I'm a lost sole when it comes to body work and upholstery though.

That's more the reason to put your eyes on it then..... Body condition has sent more than one project to the scrapyard.... And if you don't feel comfortable about what your looking at find someone who is and you can trust. Be careful on upholstery. OEM original stuff is always good to start with and if you want to head in a different direction that's OK too. The problem with OEM is finding certain components and then hoping you don't break the wallet doing so.....

JW

You sound a lot like me. I jumped back into the old Mopars after a 30 year absence a few years ago just about like you are doing. My son, who cruises car sites non stop found mine. I talked over the phone with the seller & he sent me a lot of pictures. After my wife calmed down, I bought a plane ticket & went to look at it. Had it shipped back & I love it. Always something to do though. I have probably spent about $5k on not much of anything major except A/C and new wheels and tires. Parts are high & the money flies away fast.

Sounds like you are experienced enough that you can deal with some surprises & not be too bad off.

My advice would be to buy as nice of a car as you can reasonably swing, as you will probably spend more money fixing it yourself.

Yeah, I've off and on wondered about setting an old /6 on an engine stand in the corner of the garage and making a toy out of it, but if I find a survivor I could probably stay focused on massaging it and keeping it true to its origin. Letting the engine lead into rear end, brakes, suspension and on may be a deeper money pit than I want to venture into.

Maybe you should post a wanted ad on the forum here or one of the Facebook groups. Might stand a better chance of getting an honest car.

I'll take that as good advice if the Rust Belt find I'm ready to have inspected comes up a dud. I'm been looking everywhere for a driver, that's for sure!

Found it! Originally a Malibu CA car that ended up in a heated storage facility in Rhode Island for the last 20 years. Had it inspected, appraised and the seller has been great! \6, 4 spd, front discs, and more. I think I can control the rust and know I can keep it purring.

IMG_5224.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg
IMG_5133.jpg

-
Back