How to correctly clamp leaf springs to hookup!

-
I forgot to mention to everyone that my car is a 4 speed car and I have replacement leaf springs as correct for the car not SS springs. I think they were 5 1/2 or 6 leafs per side. Thanks so far for all the advice I definitely have to get the mopar suspension book.

Carl

One thing I didn't see brought up is shock length. If you're using stock shocks, you'll probably want to pick up something longer. The stock length shocks may bottom out at full extension and cause the kind of behavior you're seeing.

I've been using these shocks from Competition Engineering. They extend about 2" past full suspension droop on my Scamp.

Shocks didn't get brought up by me because....once again, it's all covered in the Mopar Performance Suspension Manual. lol

I made my own with 1/4 x 1.5" band iron.

I've even seen people drill holes through the springs and bolt them together in the "correct" locations. I know. I cringed too. LOL But it WORKED. LOL

Somebody tried that (posted here maybe?) and went through quite a few expensive drill bits before getting all the holes done... definitely easier to install clamps.

If you are experiencing wheel hop in an A-body, on the street, ( the only body I know about) then I'm about 99% sure it's the springs. They are twisting up into a very shallow S shape until they are wound up tight as can be, and then they unload back to their normal shape with tremendous force. Enough force to lift the tire off the pavement. You can band-aid this situation with clamps, a snubber, or shocks, but the best solution I have found, for me at least,was a second mainleaf that reaches from one eye to the other. This way you get to keep your street ride. At least more or less

-
Back