How to decode a '76 Duster.

-

Eat My Dust-er

Reaction score
I've been looking around and every site only seems to go back to '74. I'm looking at a '76 Duster from a guy that claims it is 1 of 900 made and that it was a cop special or special order car because it came factory with 360 4bbl., dual snorkel hood scoop, floor shift w/ console and front stabilizer bar. Can anyone shed some info on this and where I can get more info? I'd like to run the VIN and see if it in fact came with a 360.

Hrm That sounds pretty rare to me beings that it is a 1976 that car has alot of cool options. By any chance snap any pictures? I think if you posted the vin here someone might be able to decode it for ya.

the fifth digit on the vin will be the letter L. also should have the code e58 on the fender tag somewhere on the bottom left. 1976 dusters did not come with hood scoops though......

VIN is: VL29L6G187156 I typed this VIN in on another website and it actually came back decoded as a '66 which obviously it isn't. I'd like to know EVERYTHING about it if possible (where it was made, how many were made, factory color, engine, rearend, options, etc...).

post the fender tag info line by line or a good pic of it and it will get decoded.....

Ao End
N21 N38 N41 R11 26
G54 G64 G74 J52 M21 M26
Fe5 U A91 B41 C16 C56
Fe5 C6x9 000 324 146251
E58 D36 Vl29 L6g 187156

Ao End
N21 N38 N41 R11 26
G54 G64 G74 J52 M21 M26
Fe5 U A91 B41 C16 C56
Fe5 C6x9 000 324 146251
E58 D36 Vl29 L6g 187156

ao = ?
end = end of tag
n21 = air pump (smog pump)
n38 = non catalytic exhaust
n41 = dual exhaust
r11 = am radio
26 = 26 inch radiator
g54 = left chrome remote mirror / race
g64 = right chrome mirror/ race
g74 = ? something with the mirrors or glass (dual mirrors)
j52 = inside hood release
m21 = drip rail mouldings
m26 = wheel lip mouldings
fe5 = rallye red
u = us built
a91 = deluxe insulation package
b41 = power disc brakes
c16 = console
c56 = bucket seats
c6x9 = black buckets vinyl
000 = black door paint
324 = built march 24 wed.
146251 = to be built for 1976
e58 = 360 4 bbl
d36 = 727 auto transmission
and the vin = Vl29 L6g 187156
1976 duster 360 built in st. louis mo.

Is this the one thats been on Moparts for months ?

Not sure, I didn't see it. What did it look like? He's mentioning something about a cop edition or cop motor or something and said he got his info from "GAVIER" about it being rare and said it was an ordered or special order car that came with cop wheels. Anyone have any info on something like that?

4591008-duster34small.JPG

Pretty sure he was wanting around $6,000 and thats alot for a unfinished project.

Edit: its $4,200 now.

Not sure, I didn't see it. What did it look like? He's mentioning something about a cop edition or cop motor or something and said he got his info from "GAVIER" about it being rare and said it was an ordered or special order car that came with cop wheels. Anyone have any info on something like that?

what exactly do you want to know? cop edition engine? 360 4 bbl engine is often mentioned as a cop edition engine for an a body. any merit to it's claim....well in 1976 they were useing 360 4 bbl engines in special cop edition aspens and volares. so i guess there is some merit to it. the 360 would have been a special order in a duster or dart sport for 1976 though.
cop wheels? you could have gotten steel wheels (cop wheels) on any car i would think if you didn't want hubcaps installed or non rallye wheels. the build sheet info will be the only way to tell how it was ordered. there are no known production numbers on the 1976 360 dusters only guesses. it is safe to say it is 1000 or less...
if all of the car is "there" and all it needs to be is put back together and painted then it is worth the money especially if it is all original...

Personally I think its a cool car. A 360 A body in 76 is pretty rare. I know it had some upgrades some, 8-3/4 rear ? Price may have been high at $4200 but if your happy with it thats all that matters.

What are your plans for it ?

Personally I think its a cool car. A 360 A body in 76 is pretty rare. I know it had some upgrades some, 8-3/4 rear ? Price may have been high at $4200 but if your happy with it thats all that matters.

There is no build sheet, he says he'll take $3000.00 without the motor and trans. I looked at it and everything appears to be there. The body is very straight so it won't need much prep work before painting.

There is no build sheet, he says he'll take $3000.00 without the motor and trans. I looked at it and everything appears to be there. The body is very straight so it won't need much prep work before painting.

without the motor or tranny? it is just another 1976 duster at that point imho. i smell a rat.....

Key word is appears. You 99.7% never get everything you think you will with a project car. I'd never buy a dismanted car without seeing it in person. You looked at it in person right??

Sounds like you allready have two dusters and have restored one your self. So you should be able to see what's missing and you probably have some spares to fill in here and there.

petesresto had a green/green 318 4spd car in california on here running and driving. Needed some bodywork but no rust ever car. I think it had a 360 in it. He kept lowering his price. Was down to around $4K at one time. I think it went lower. IHMO that just as much car as this E58 non buildsheet car, project car.

I'm not seeing that 76 shell is worth $3K Is that the numbers matching motor and trans? I'd say a little north of that with the rebuildable numbers motor and trans.

I don't think any a-body had 15" rims except for the police 4dr E58 76 cars. That car doesn't have a police vin or police data tag codes. With the buildsheet, who know what rims/hubcaps came with it.

The body is very straight so it won't need much prep work before painting.

Then he should paint it and get more for it. That old line "it's in primer and ready for paint" in 95% of the time BS. In reality it's a car you can't store outside for long because the primer is not sealed. And the car doesn't have major dents. Figure doing all the finish pre paint blocking work before you paint it. And that's were 25-33% of the labor costs are.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, I was gone for a few days. I bought the car for $3000.00. It was a bit high but I do ALL my own work (body, paint, engine,etc...) so I'll save enough in the end to justify the price. Thanks for everyones advice and constructive criticism:thumbrig:

-
Back