How to do trim that has black recesses

-

CaesarConnor

Reaction score
I'm looking at redoing the trim on my dart but before I start buying the tools I was wondering how you restore anything (grill headlight trim etc) that has black in the recessed part of the trim. The same goes for the interior plastic dash trim that has recesses in it. Any info would be appreciated.

Don't know the specifics of what you are really doing - pictures would help. Just guessing, I would say lots and lots of masking tape. Don't get the cheap stuff, either. You'll be wasting your time and it's frustrating too! Go to your local automotive paint shop. Good Luck!

I'm thinking I'll be using that thin 3M stuff they use for masking flame patterns and such on my grill. We'll see..

you'll need patience. I did my sharktooth grill by hand with very fine point brushes. Took me over a year picking away at it.

you'll need patience. I did my sharktooth grill by hand with very fine point brushes. Took me over a year picking away at it.

It didnt take me that long, but it was hours sitting at the workbench with cheapo crayon brand water color brushes to black out all the horizontals on my grill halves.

I would recommend an ample supply of narrow 3m vinyl tape, either 1/8" or 1/4" wide. The vinyl will stretch around corners nicely for detail work, then you can cover adjacent areas with regular painter's masking tape. Gives nice sharp edges with no bleed through.

Worked well on stainless Plymouth poverty caps for me.

I'd thought about it but was wondering how its done originally. There's no way the reproductions are done by hand. I was wondering if where the black is recessed that the whole thing isn't painted and then the ridges buffed.

Doing that very thing on my 67 Taillight housings. They had corrosion and pitting in the channels, started by bead blasting the housing after masking off the polished trim. Then had to use my die grinder to clean up the pits and flakes of chrome. I mixed up some 2 part glaze and put it in the channels as thin as i could. Am sanding out and will re-mask before painting. Thinking about spraying a self-etching primer first, letting it flash then following with chassis black POR 15. Just my idea.

Attachments

• TaillightRefurbish.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 206
if the black is in recesses, I have cleaned the part ( laquer thinner), sprayed the black, after its almost dried, wipe the high areas you don't want black with laquer thinner. be careful not to have the rag too wet!!

if the black is in recesses, I have cleaned the part ( laquer thinner), sprayed the black, after its almost dried, wipe the high areas you don't want black with laquer thinner. be careful not to have the rag too wet!!
I've done that too. It helps for some items to cut a slit in a piece of paper as a mask, spray it, then wipe the overspray with thinner. Ex. The Barracuda tailight housings, the front grill shells.

I'd thought about it but was wondering how its done originally. There's no way the reproductions are done by hand. I was wondering if where the black is recessed that the whole thing isn't painted and then the ridges buffed.

Done at the factory? They had pre-cut masks, probably made out of metal, that they just laid on the part, and then spray painted it. You'll note that the factory paint on these parts has rather "soft" edges instead of a hard tape masked line. Nearly impossible to duplicate.

Doing that very thing on my 67 Taillight housings. They had corrosion and pitting in the channels, started by bead blasting the housing after masking off the polished trim. Then had to use my die grinder to clean up the pits and flakes of chrome. I mixed up some 2 part glaze and put it in the channels as thin as i could. Am sanding out and will re-mask before painting. Thinking about spraying a self-etching primer first, letting it flash then following with chassis black POR 15. Just my idea.

One way to do 1/8" wide recesses commonly found on trim is to just use 1/8" wide pin striping tape. Just lay it in the groove and trim the ends. Looks good and is almost non-noticeable. (Is that a word?)

One way to do 1/8" wide recesses commonly found on trim is to just use 1/8" wide pin striping tape. Just lay it in the groove and trim the ends. Looks good and is almost non-noticeable. (Is that a word?)

I agree with KosmicKuda's approach I used 1/4" pinstripe tape on my '67 trim and it layed on perfectly. No jagged edges, perfectly straight and smooth, quick to apply, etc...

I also used pin stripe tape when I reworked the dash and console for my 66 Barracuda. Worked great. After I put the tape down, I gave it a couple of coats of clear.
Mike

-
Back