How to Easily Adjust Timing Curves, in the car with engine running.

-

KitCarlson

Reaction score
I have developed a direct fire ignition for Mopars. This youtube video is a demo of adjusting mechanical and vacuum advance curves, simply pushing buttons. The user interface is an application written for a $28 RCA Voyager 7" Tablet purchased at my local Walmart.

So it runs on an android OS.
Does this mean you can develop this to be used via Blue Tooth on a cell phone to adjust your timing?:D

Hint, hint.:D

So it runs on an android OS.
Does this mean you can develop this to be used via Blue Tooth on a cell phone to adjust your timing?:D

Hint, hint.:D

I already did Bluetooth on my first Mopar ignition back in 2012. I used Mopar electronic distributor (reluctor and pickup) and single coil with rotor spark distribution. More info on that here http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/dim-electronic-advance-ignition.180368 If you notice the interface looks quite similar. I went on to this new Coil Near Plug design, with greatly improved, custom timing reference signals in distributor. That is a plug-n-play solution with easily set base timing, and in car timing advance readings.

The Bluetooth adds cost, because the modules run at 3.3V. That requires more interface parts, the BT module needs to be in the car, because none are available for under hood temperatures, so cable would be required. The RS232 interface is available for under hood temperatures. There could also be BT interface issues with different phones, tablets, and BT use for hands free, and music. I decided to save $$$, go direct, and skip potential hassles. It will work with most Phones, Tablets and PCs with USB V2.0+ ports.

On the fly modifications to the ignition curve is pretty neat when trying to find an engine's sweet spot at various rpm ranges and loads.

On the fly modifications to the ignition curve is pretty neat when trying to find an engine's sweet spot at various rpm ranges and loads.
Thanks. The way it works is is smooth, without missing or incorrect values. I developed the strategy for changing and savings settings, back in 2003, on my first engine management system. It is well proven, a part of the code that has not changed.

The data logging helps too. Recording RPM at time intervals, is used to calculate acceleration. The calculate is simple subtraction, for change in speed. Plot that, the curve proportional to acceleration, if data points are same intervals apart. Timing can be changed, and easily evalutated. Other factors as gear, wind, road incline and wind need to be considered.

I've played with the programmable 'Black Box' ECU from CB performance, which comes close but no real Real Time adjustments were possible.
Just alter the ignition table and then save the tune while the engine is running. Only a small hickup was present in the engine during this process.

-
Back