How to figure gear ratios in three speed tranny?

-

creeds_247

creed_s247
Reaction score
How can I figure what the gear ratio in each gear of a three speed so I can calcute what gears to run? Because I have a few gears that may work by running in second.

If you can't figure any other way, simply "rig" a way to turn the input---clutch disc, or vise grips and a rag, etc and some way to mark output shaft---yoke

Then just turn and count the input until the output turns once

To be more accurate, count the input until the output turns TWICE or FIVE times, then divide your answer by 2 or 5

Here's a page speculating on ratios

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115907

I really have not paid much attention to 3 speeds. I broke enough Chivvies when I was a kid

The A903 3spd is 1st:2.95-1, 2nd:1.83-1, 3rd:1-1. I wouldn't run in 2nd gear though, A manual trans is strongest in high gear (1-1) because all power is transmitted directly from the input shaft straight through to the mainshaft insted of through the countershaft. Running alot of power through 2nd all the time is going to wear things out quicker or break things.

The A903 3spd is 1st:2.95-1, 2nd:1.83-1, 3rd:1-1. I wouldn't run in 2nd gear though, A manual trans is strongest in high gear (1-1) because all power is transmitted directly from the input shaft straight through to the mainshaft insted of through the countershaft. Running alot of power through 2nd all the time is going to wear things out quicker or break things.

I do appreciate that and I will be sure and remember that. Thanks for the ratios..

-
Back