How to Fill Trim Holes

-
I just weld them up, if they are really big like the side trim on the 65 Mustang I did, I cut a little plug, zap it with a stud gun so I have something to hold it with and weld it in.

Same here.........The lead works, but it's a real pain to get started....takes a little patience.........you can do it with nothing more than a small tip propane torch and some practice........BUT, I prefer the mig on low amps.......a larger hole gets a small plug tacked in and then beaded (one tack at a time to avoid warping), then grind and finish......you can tape 1/2 of your little plug onto the hole, then tack weld it....then remove the tape, and continue.

If you try your hand at leading, be SURE the holes are ground clean, including the inside lip, and then cleaned with solvent before you start. Most guys would VERY LIGHTLY tap the hole with a small ball pean, or even a philips head to give them an ever so slight concave to fill with the lead......just don't hit it too hard or you'll have big dents instead of tiny holes........I'd simply ream the hole a bit with a larger drill bit......worked nicely (on very slow speed for control).

:read2: Good luck.

I used that exact article to fill about 30 holes on my old Belvedere I. It was cool, it worked! A small torch is all it took, but it was tricky to dial in the flame perfectly and unless the lead is just right, it can be difficult to work with. The tape backing worked too.

As with any welding, watch for too much or too little heat and don't make a big lump with the lead or your body guy will curse you for making wavy panels.

Also, make sure you can get to all the holes to back them up with the tape or find an alternative. A few of the holes were basically unreachable from the inside.

Practice where it can't be seen or on a junk panel until you get the hang of it. The first ones I did sucked compared to the last ones. 8)

I did my first batch at age 16 on a 70 swinger using a piece of household copper pipe hammered flat and held on the back side and a wire feed mig, trick was hitting the hole once and moving down the line and just coming back after the first holes began to cool. Don't think you have to fill the hole on your first shot, same with grinding them down. Hit and move, be paitent and it will save you more time when you do start with the filler.

-
Back