how to find a 340?

-

360VALIANT

Reaction score
I don't know if this belongs here. my question is how do you tell a 340 from any other SB mopar motor. what gives it away? i only ask because i am looking for a 340 motor for my '69 valiant and i have a local junkyard that has plenty of mopars in its yard. i am going to go out there this weekend and take a look around but i need to at least have an idea of what to look at... also, can anybody lead me in the right direction as far as what these motors came in? any help would be greatly appreciated. that is why i am asking you guys on this great site for some info. Thanks.

Frank

It,s not impossable to find a 340 in the junkyard.If you don,t find one look for a 74 to 78 dodge van with a 360 in it.A lot of them came with w2 econo heads. Also look for a 67 to 72 dart 6 cylinder stick shift,Most of them had 8 3/4 rears {suregrips}posi in them. Mark:read2::read2:

Look for Dusters, Demons, Chargers, Challengers, Cudas & Dart GTS as a beginning. There are probably more. I don't think there is any way to tell by looking other than the 340 stamp in the casting number on the block.

It,s not impossable to find a 340 in the junkyard.If you don,t find one look for a 74 to 78 dodge van with a 360 in it.A lot of them came with w2 econo heads. Also look for a 67 to 72 dart 6 cylinder stick shift,Most of them had 8 3/4 rears {suregrips}posi in them. Mark:read2::read2:

Vans with factory Econo W2s! I have never heard of this. Do tell more.

or six pack carbs

but if you find one of those in a junk yard I would be really surprised.

well in addition to all 340's having 4 bbl intakes,360 is visually diffrent because of the harmonic balancer having and offset weight on it,if the car you are looking at happens to be a 73 then it will look similar to a 360 balancer but will say for 340 cast crank only.340's didn't come in trucks or vans.and as far as I know did not come in b bodies till 1971?

Here's some help on what your asking. Hopefully the car your looking at has a fender tag. If so look at the bottom line, the first entry and if it's a 340 it will read "E55". That's just a start. As stated above , get a mirror on a stick and a flashlite and look on the drivers side of the block above the starter and below the exhaust manifold. The size of the motor will be cast in the side of the block on the drivers side. The date code will be cast in the pass side of the block. Another clue will be to look on the front of the K member and see if there is a washer welded on the front of the K member. Only 340 cars had it. Good luck and keep us posted.
Small Block

Vans with factory Econo W2s! I have never heard of this. Do tell more.
About 1980 when I was building my race car a chrysler book was talking about yunkyard finds.one of the finds was dodge vans with 360s in them having heads with oval ports.I starting looking in junkyards and the one down the street from my house had that engine in it.I took the heads off and had them fully done.I had to get w2 headers for the car. Allmost anyone in the philadelphia area knows about the red & black 70 dart.In the book it had a lot of listings of strange things mopar was doing.They didn,t have cars to experiment hith so they did it with the vans and trucks.the 8 3/4 reare was for the old ladys that bought the 6s and were getting stuck in snow and mud.I am going through my old mopar books hopfully before carisile so I can put some stuff on hear we used to do to make these cars run.Also I have to find the book that chrysler put out It was called THE CARS CHRYSLER DIDN'T MAKE. I know I still have thst one I just have to find it. Mark

W2s were never factory installed. Chrysler considered using them on the 78 Lil Red Wagon but scrapped the idea.

so the W2 econo heads are really what i want? are these the heads with 2.02 intake valves?

before you run off and buy a set of w2 econo heads, check out how much you are going to be paying for rocker arms...they are not cheap...

best bet...buy a set of edelbrock heads...

as far as finding a 340...save money and go faster with a 360.....

W2s were never factory installed. Chrysler considered using them on the 78 Lil Red Wagon but scrapped the idea.

correct....they could not get them emission certified...so they never came on the trucks

Ithink the magazine was called chrysler power.Dont quote me on that but I think that was the magazine.In the 70s 80s and 90s you only had a few things out there for mopar guys so if you went with mags like hot rod for info you ended up at the end of pack.Back then you had to do a lot of reserch to go fast or as I was lucky I had the people around me to teach me.It was until bob glidden in 1990 won the prostock championship with a 340 w2 head engine.aAnd thats when you started to see parts beeing made for 340s with out beeing costom.Soory I just started typing.I will try to find the mags. Mark

ummm lil red express trucks didnt even have catalitic converters cause they were trucks why couldnt they?

I need to find a bunch of those vans they must be super super rare
The vans that the w2 heads were in were rareIt was a lot of them made..71 dart 360 you are right but some vans made it out before tha idea was scrapped and the emissions is why they got scrapped.If nayone can rermember chrysler had a lot of funny dealings with the government and chrysler had problems testing parts and the only way the could was in vans.No one would suspect hp in vans.

1979 was the first year trucks under 1 ton were built with convertors, C&C 1 ton trucks/vans were available w/o convertors until, I think, 1983.
The '79 LRT is a light duty truck, therefore subject to emissions regs.

A 4 barrel carb does not a 340 make.
There is no hard and fast way to find a 340 in a car, but being as how I am intimately familiar with small blocks and how these cars are built, I've sniffed out three 340s that have had 2 barrels installed, 1 in an A-108 van, 1 in a '65 Barracuda and another in a Chevy truck, of all things.
All 3 bought for under $200 each, all ran.
That's not to mention the 340s I've found with 4 barrels in some pretty odd vehicles, like the one in an early '80s car hauler.

If you're digging in an engine or iron pile, the biggest giveaway is a large 4 cast in near the back of the block on '70 and up 340s, as well as an 'O' cast at the bellhousing flange, though some 360s also have the 'O', but they have a 6 where the 340 has a 4.

Any stock 340 or 360 head has at least one line on the ends of the head (l), '894, or 'X' heads and '587 heads have 2 lines (ll) on the ends.
Some have a line with a block beside it.

Later '72 and 73 340s come with a harmonic damper that looks similar to an early 360 damper, but has "Use With 340 Cast Crank Only" cast into the face of the counterweight.

All this having been said, if you're going to the effort to find a 340, don't ignore the '71-'74 360s, they are a helluva good engine and usually a bargain.

One thing I do know, if you find a 340 in a J/Y, don't lie to the seller, just call it a "Small block that I want out of this XYZ vehicle."
If they guess what it is and want boo-koo $$, just smile, let it go and look some more, you find one, you'll find another.

Mark.

.... some vans made it out before tha idea was scrapped and the emissions is why they got scrapped.If nayone can rermember chrysler had a lot of funny dealings with the government and chrysler had problems testing parts and the only way the could was in vans.No one would suspect hp in vans.

I've heard this bogus urban legend about W-2s in factory applications for YEARS.

Do people even realize what one off parts are necessary to even attain this idea? If it makes it to production, IT HAS A PART NUMBER!
I want part/casting numbers of exhaust manifolds or headers and associated parts for this combination.
I also want build codes and S.O. numbers.

Whether or not someone would suspect horsepower in a van, is immaterial, if the EPA caught any manufacturer installing an uncertified engine into an application that didn't have the EPA's certification for that engine, it wouldn't bode well for the Corporation.

W-2 heads had no crossover provision in an era that relied on this feature, even in vans, for warm-up, this hardly seems possible, much less logical.

I also can't believe someone buying a new van would unknowingly get a package like this, then have warranty issues and never have it get documented anywhere in the world.

Mark.

before you run off and buy a set of w2 econo heads, check out how much you are going to be paying for rocker arms...they are not cheap...

best bet...buy a set of edelbrock heads...

as far as finding a 340...save money and go faster with a 360.....

How much would one expect to pay for a rocker arm set up?????

-
Back