how to flush

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ive got a blown head gasket. I Pulled the valve cover and 5he underside was like sludge. Like green snot. I can only assume the entireally engine is like this. How can I flush it out after repair?

Clean it as you repair it.

If it's too bad, you may consider pulling it for a complete clean, possibly hot tank...

there are ways to desludge an engine. If it has very high millage it probably isn't worth the effort/

I use tranny fluid, works great! Just change the oil after 15 min run time. If it is water type sludge gunk the hell out of it before the tranny fluid and change the oil also before the tranny fluid and a change of the oil filter in between also, do not run it with the degreaser in it!

Not trying to promote undue fear, how long do you suspect it was leaking? Was the oil thickened as a result? The reason I bring this up is that coolant in the lube has the ability to strip the outer (softer) materials from the bearing face.
If this was to the point the oil was thick, I would certainly think about pulling the pan for rod/main inspection.
Good luck, hope it shakes out in your favor.

Not trying to promote undue fear, how long do you suspect it was leaking? Was the oil thickened as a result? The reason I bring this up is that coolant in the lube has the ability to strip the outer (softer) materials from the bearing face.
If this was to the point the oil was thick, I would certainly think about pulling the pan for rod/main inspection.
Good luck, hope it shakes out in your favor.

I never knew about the bearing wear! Good to know.

Yes. In large diesels its very common to have an oil cooler failure which allows cross contamination in both the crankcase and cooling systems. You can flush the cooling system with a fire hose and still find trapped oil weeks later rise up. But the crankcase, its just tedious clean ,inspect and reassemble. I hope he caught it quickly. And that his oil was still oil, not sludge

Fairly new motor. I pulled the dipstick and the oil appears to be pretty clean still. I'm really not sure when it started. It's only been driven once in the last few months. And it wasn't dking it before. I'd say less then 30min of run time like that

I would try the tranny fluid or an engine flush then myself.

-
Back