How to get your money back from a rogue trader

-

Martythetrimmer

Reaction score
How not to get ripped off by a rogue trader!

It has only been a matter of time before someone did the wrong thing by me as I’m on the opposite side of the world and many think I can’t do anything to a US trader.

I deal with numerous traders and private sellers in the US and have expected to have a bad deal sooner or later, just a matter of odds! Although this has been the only bad deal and most I have dealt with have been fantastic.

Any way it happened, parts that were promised and paid for couldn’t be supplied then an extra sum of money was deducted from my account without authorisation.

After waiting many mouths and having made many email contacts it became evident the trader wasn’t making any attempt to pay back the funds. He kept on blaming PayPal for the “mistake”. He could and should have just paid me back straight away then sorted the problem with PayPal from there, but he made me wait 6 months before he tried to repay my money. When I contacted him to inform him the money hadn’t been returned as he had stated, he ignored all contact, many many emails. At the 8 mouth point I took action.

Something most people don’t know is if you pay by credit card the Bank can reverse the transaction and take back the payment returning it to your account!

All you have to do is supply evidence of the transaction. This can be via a Bank statement, emails, etc.

It’s amazing how quickly the trader will react when you take back your money!!

This can be done within your own country or across the world. Talk to your Bank, there are rules to follow and waiting times but you can take action through your Bank. Don’t be pushed around by rogue traders, stand up for your rights, the Banks will intervene on your behalf!

It all took too long but the end result was I got my money back when it looked like I would never have got it from the trader.

this is why I stress the point to NOT pay for goods as a gift thru paypal

Way to stick it to the guy. :thumblef:

Care to mention any names so the rest of us don't get ripped off? :bball:

At this stage I don't want to think he was tying to rip me off, more the guy is just careless with his stock, has so much he doesn't know were half of it is! He's too old school with his Banking and not up on modern systems. He gets 200+ emails a day and only answers some of them, including vital ones like mine. So maybe he's just too old and should sell the bussiness to someone on the ball!

I think he'll be more careful with other peoples money after this, it cost him a lot of time and worry as I had his money while it got sorted!

If he did this to,you I wonder how many other people he had pissed off doing the same thing to them.

Glad you got it back.

Six months??

I think that justifies a name drop.

I'm sorry but in this day in age if a seller or vendor doesnt have a means to pay them via CC or Paypal there should be a red flag. I see guys that wire money to people which has no protection. Protect yourself first. If they cant deal with a service that provides protection then find a seller who will. Prices are very compeditive and more then one person or place sells an item.

-
Back