How to heat

-
I almost mentioned this^^^but a heat pump install is rarely a "budget" install

Wood stove will probably be my end choice depending on my budget. I plan on getting a fireproof cabinet to store my flammable chemicals. I do worry about the possibility of gasoline vapor From my parked cars. As far as insulation goes I know of closed cell and open cell spray foam insulation. The building company offered to insulate it (it was some kind of bubble wrap plastic) for a little less than 2k if I recall.

Heat pump with A/C. With my shop, after spending my life working in dark caves that were either freezing or broiling, I insisted on 2 things, very good lighting and HVAC.

Your building needs to be well insulated. In a hot, humid place like NC, I would think A/C would be really helpful - heat wouldn't be hard at all. One summer spent in a climate controlled shop will be like heaven. Stuff doesn't rust and you don't suffocate from the heat. Makes working on your junk more enjoyable.

My building is 40x52, insulated and is unbelievably cheap to cool and heat. On really cold days, I use a small propane space heater to warm it up to keep from beating on the heat pump too hard. Split system - outside unit with the air handler on the inside elevated so I didn't lose floor space.

If you spend any amount of time in your shop, it is money you will never regret spending.

Heat pump with A/C. With my shop, after spending my life working in dark caves that were either freezing or broiling, I insisted on 2 things, very good lighting and HVAC.

Your building needs to be well insulated. In a hot, humid place like NC, I would think A/C would be really helpful - heat wouldn't be hard at all. One summer spent in a climate controlled shop will be like heaven. Stuff doesn't rust and you don't suffocate from the heat. Makes working on your junk more enjoyable.

My building is 40x52, insulated and is unbelievably cheap to cool and heat. On really cold days, I use a small propane space heater to warm it up to keep from beating on the heat pump too hard. Split system - outside unit with the air handler on the inside elevated so I didn't lose floor space.

If you spend any amount of time in your shop, it is money you will never regret spending.

what material did you use to insulate your shop?

Semi-related question: within the shop I’ll have a lift, air compressor, welder (all 3 will require 240v), and several 120v outlets throughout. Will 100A service be enough?

It was stick built. They used the pink, itchy stuff like they would use in a house. Walls and ceiling. Interior walls are metal.

Should be. I run everything (house, shop) on 200 and I have all that stuff. Just don't try to run all of it at the same time.

Last edited:
What does it cost you to refill that 100lb propane tank in your area?
Depends on the time of year.there is always a shortage of propane in the winter ( convenient huh) I have 3 filled in the fall for 50-55 but winter it's 70 or so

"What does it cost you to refill that 100lb propane tank in your area?"

Not a 100lb tank. 60 I think. Got the biggest size I could easily take to have filled. Usually 8.5 gallons to refill. $26. Will run almost 12 hours. I just use it when really cold to knock the chill off without spinning the electric meter.

Semi-related question: within the shop I’ll have a lift, air compressor, welder (all 3 will require 240v), and several 120v outlets throughout. Will 100A service be enough?
Absolutely! That's what I have in my 33x30 shop WITH a 10KVA electric furnace. It is well insulated. I leave the shop at 45-48 degrees in the winter when not in use and my electric bill raised about $60 a month.

-
Back