How To Help The Torque Flight Clunk When Going Into Reverse Gear

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
I tryed this one time and it worked for me.
When going to reverse gear(( instead of going from park to reverse))
MOVE THE SHIFTER DIRECTLY FROM PARK TO 1ST GEAR LOW ,FAST ENOUGH NOT TO ENGAUGE ANY OF THE OTHER GEARS.
THEN GO DIRECTLY TO REVERSE GEAR.

PULL THE SHIFTER TOWARDS YOU TO MAKE THE MOVEMENT OF THE GEAR SELECTOR NOT STICK AS MUCH IN THE STEERING COLUMN.

AGAIN,YOU DON'T WANT TO GO SO SLOW THAT THE GEARS IN BETWEEN ENGAUGE.
THIS SOUNDS WEIRD BUT WHEN I TRY THIS ON TORQUE FLIGHTS IT WORKS.
they go into reverse nice and easy instead of clunking.

LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU GUYS.

I tryed this one time and it worked for me.
When going to reverse gear(( instead of going from park to reverse))
MOVE THE SHIFTER DIRECTLY FROM PARK TO 1ST GEAR LOW ,FAST ENOUGH NOT TO ENGAUGE ANY OF THE OTHER GEARS.
THEN GO DIRECTLY TO REVERSE GEAR.

PULL THE SHIFTER TOWARDS YOU TO MAKE THE MOVEMENT OF THE GEAR SELECTOR NOT STICK AS MUCH IN THE STEERING COLUMN.

AGAIN,YOU DON'T WANT TO GO SO SLOW THAT THE GEARS IN BETWEEN ENGAUGE.
THIS SOUNDS WEIRD BUT WHEN I TRY THIS ON TORQUE FLIGHTS IT WORKS.
they go into reverse nice and easy instead of clunking.

LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU GUYS.

sounds like if you need to do that, you must have some serious problems right?

i'm dealing with some tranny issues right now. and the clunking when i'm putting it into gear i'm thinking is just the U joints.
seems like an awkward way to put a car into gear though. some of the more knowledgeable people here on FABO will probably reply also...

Clunk= usually u joints, usually rear one; or rear end slack. It is normal, unless it shakes the car. Have a good buddy get under the car, and watch the rear pinion, when you put it in gear.

That fast shifter movement, bypassing neutral, is just bypassing your front
pump. The pump has to be working, even to check the fluid; that's why , in neutral.

{{THIS IS FOR GOING INTO REVERSE ONLY}}MY TRANSSMISSIONS ARE NOT BROKE AND ALL MY U JOINTS ARE NEW.

Both my transsmissions are in perfect working order.
Both are 904's.
My cuda dosen,t do this as bad AS my coronet BUT does clunk when going to reverse from park.The coronets trans.was built by dynamic and it works great.
((((Torque flights are nortorious for slaming into reverse especially 727's.))))))
Both my trans.have dynamic convertors and are built with the best of everything.
My coronets 904 has a full manual forward pattern valve body in it and is highly modified.
It's done this since day one and it was built in 2004.
DON'T GET ME WRONG ,IT WILL GO INTO REVERSE FROM PARK LIKE ANY OTHER CAR BUT THIS SEEMS TO TAKE SOME OF THE SHOCK OUT OF IT.
If your car has a trans. that goes into reverse hard and you tried this and it helped ,then let me know??:thumbrig:

Ah, first of all if the engine is turning the pump is working, you can't bypass it. Secondly that reverse clunk has been a no charge option since the TF was first designed and produced. Accept it, own it, enjoy it.

When you put the transmission in low (1st gear),it applys the low 1st gear band and reverse band (same band) ,and since you have put the car in first gear before going to reverse, the band is already applied and the transmission dosen't free wheel as much before hitting reverse gear.
MY CAR HAS THE NEW CHEETAH VALVE BODY THAT HAS LOW BAND APPLIED AND I,M WONDERING IF THAT VALVE BODY WOULD MAKE IT WORSE.
I'M GOING TO CALL TURBO ACTION AND ASK A FEW QUESTIONS AND GET BACK WITH SOME INFO.8)

What you are hearing when you put it in reverse is all the drivetrain slop being taken up in the opposite way that it was designed for,esp the ring and pinion. If you take your foot off the brake B4 you chuck it in reverse, it helps a whole lot.

I get the clunk going into a forward gear from reverse but nothing going into reverse from park , in fact the shifter won't even positively stop on R so I have to give the car some gas to be sure I'm in reverse , my tranny guy says it's all good but then he built it and probably doesn't want to fix it for free ,which is how it will be if it's messed up what do you guy's think ?

Tight direct drum clearance adds to severe reverse engagement. Loose rear band does it too. A reverse squawk or clank is not gonna hurt a good trans.

All you have to do (at least for the 904 in my Duster) is shift straight to Neutral for about 5 seconds and then shift to reverse. When the trans is in park even with the engine running there is no fluid being pumped through the transmission; this is because Park is an extra gear added onto the originally pushbutton transmissions that had only N,D,2,1, and Park lever. When you shift into N it activates the pump in the trans and pressurizes everything so the converter fills up, etc. This also helps on cold days when the converter has drained back into the pan a bit.

When you put the transmission in low (1st gear),it applys the low 1st gear band and reverse band (same band) ,and since you have put the car in first gear before going to reverse, the band is already applied and the transmission dosen't free wheel as much before hitting reverse gear.
MY CAR HAS THE NEW CHEETAH VALVE BODY THAT HAS LOW BAND APPLIED AND I,M WONDERING IF THAT VALVE BODY WOULD MAKE IT WORSE.
I'M GOING TO CALL TURBO ACTION AND ASK A FEW QUESTIONS AND GET BACK WITH SOME INFO.8)
Paul Forte is a good guy to talk to, he will tell you everything about a TF, and his parts.

Ah, first of all if the engine is turning the pump is working, you can't bypass it. Secondly that reverse clunk has been a no charge option since the TF was first designed and produced. Accept it, own it, enjoy it.

Except in Park, the pump is not moving fluid. This is a well known design oddity in the TF transmissions.

Well i talked to turbo action and didn't really get any info on why it helps when i shift into reverse like this ,but we talked about the common problems with torque flight transsmissions and how they work.
This system i use , no don't helps ,when my transmission is cold and backing out of the garage ,but again this is only the one 904 i have and not the other.
IF I HAD TO GUESS I WOULD SAY IT'S A COMBINATION OF A VERY HIGH STALL SPEED AND NOT LETTING THE CAR WARN UP ENOUGH BEFORE BACKING OUT OF THE GARAGE.
PRESSURE IS EVERYTHING IN A TRANS.AND IF IT'S DEAD COLD IT DOSEN'T REALLY HELP.
TURBO ACTION ALSO SAID THAT SOME PEOPLE CALL ABOUT HOW THERE CAR WON'T BACK UP RIGHT AWAY, AND THIS HE WAS TELLING ME ,HAD TO DO WITH HIGHER STALL CONVERTORS AND FLUID PRESURE.
WELL ANYWAYS, I STILL LOVE MY TORQUE FLIGHTS. :roll: CLUNK OR NO CLUNK (((CHEERS :coffee2:

T67,
It isn't the TF that is clunking, it is the rear end. Just back it in the garage and you won't hear itas bad.

-
Back