How to ID correct parts for 71 Dart Swinger

-

greg86z28

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to put my Dart back to stock. I am in need of an intake, carb, air cleaner and valve covers. The car is a 71 Swinger w/ 318, AT and AC. I'm going to be attending a car show and swap this Friday and realized I don't know what I'm looking for.

I would like the parts to be correct for the year, but I don't care as much about matching them to the exact month of the other parts on the car. Where do I look for date codes to make sure it's a 1971 part?

I know I need the following carb - 7041180/R-2-2GV. I don't know what the intake part # is. Are the air cleaner and valve covers also date stamped?

Thank you!

Greg

First, keep in mind that the 1971 model year ran from August 1, 1970 through July 31, 1971.

It is also possible some parts were dated well before that since they had to have parts available before the start of the model year.

Intakes normally have a cast in date code.

No dates on air cleaners or valve covers.

If your engine is the original, look at the 10,000 day final assembly date on the front of the block below the driver side head surface. If you want to get picky, any dated engine part will predate that final assembly date.

Thanks. I will look at the block tonight. The car is largely original, including the paint. The driveline is numbers matching and original with the exception of the parts mentioned and the alternator/ignition system.

It's a nice driver quality EL5 Dart Swinger.

Just a heads-up... the Rochester 2GV carb is '71 only I think, and not that common.

Just a heads-up... the Rochester 2GV carb is '71 only I think, and not that common.

I think you're right.

If I could find the intake, valve covers and air cleaner that would be great. I could find the carb online. Shipping the cast iron intake would be expensive.

I found my code: GM318R 3540 0826. So that breaks down to April 7th 1971.

Where do I find the date code on the intake?

-
Back