How to install a dipstick tube without ruining it in a 440

-

Sixpack_Sid

Reaction score
Hi all,
I tried to install a dipstick tube in a 440 but the tube would not go in. Is there a trick to putting them in? Got the one for a 440.

Thanks,

Sid

I use an appropriately sized box end wrench and slip over the tube and bottom against the crimp in the tube and tap it in with a small hammer. Some grease on the end that presses into the block will help it go in a little easier.

Yes, the old one was broken off. I tried that last time with a wrench but it ruined it.

I take it you got the old broken piece out?
I usually just polish the end with emery cloth and use a little grease.
It really was never a problem getting a new tube in, but getting the old broken piece out can be a bear. I've found an easy-out is the best for getting the piece out.

You could try what he ^ said.

Then put the tube in the freezer over night. Put some lube on it and it might slide right in.

I recall seeing an installer tool that was basically a tube large enough to go over the tube but with 1/4 of a side removed. Like a fitting wrench.

It fits on the step in the new tube and you tap on it to tap the tube in.

Like this

Screenshot_20230729-201439.png

Last edited:
I usually put a thin slit in the bottom, which causes the diameter to squeeze a little smaller. Then tap it in with an open end and a hammer. I do use sealant on the end.

Freezer, little oil, bronze or soft metal hammer and tap it in. Simple

I usually put a thin slit in the bottom, which causes the diameter to squeeze a little smaller. Then tap it in with an open end and a hammer. I do use sealant on the end.
That's a great idea.

-
Back