How to install a windshield that will not leak?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently installed a windshield in my 74 Duster and the sucker leaks. The gasket was in excellent condition. The glass too. I cleaned the metal channel beforehand. I did NOT use and sealant. After seeing the leak, I wondered if I was supposed to use some.
Are you supposed to put the sealant between the metal channel and the gasket? What about between the glass and the gasket?

I can't offer any real advise, but are you SURE its the windshield, and not the cowl cavity?

Liquid butyl in the channel gutter below the trim, and RTV or urethane between glass and gasket. I did mine afterwards, it's nice and dry but it will take trial and error before everything is sealed. :toothy2:

PTI 707 on eBay, use good stuff!

Silicone should never be used in a windshield installation. Butyl bedding compound is something you can put under the gasket and should take care of any leaks.

Urethane will work too but if you ever need to change/remove the windshield in the future you will need to cut it out greatly increasing the risk of breaking the windshield and the gasket will be destroyed.

3m Window Weld, glue the gasket to the opening, then a small bead in the groove for the windshield. No leaks. But no taking the glass out either unless you cut the gasket. Rear windows usually call for bedding compound but I skip it and just use the window weld.

-
Back