How to Install Camshaft Bearings

-
How do you handle it if there is a bit of drag after they are installed?

I take an old cam core and cut a diagonal slot in each cam journal face, install the cam and turn it until it frees up . The slots act as a cutting edge and remove just enough material to get the clearance right.

That's a good suggestion. I've got an old folding knife in my toolbox that works great for a bearing scraper to shave any high spots. Thanks for the write up.

Just as easy as it is to install them using the same tool.

Leave it to me, doing things the hard way. I tried the cheap'o route with the threaded rod and washers. Worked well for removal, installation was a whole different problem. Needless to say I trashed 2 of the bearing and ended up buying the tool and another bearing set. $40 in the trash. Thanks for the article, big help 2nd time around.

Cheers,

Well I bought mine from Snap on probably 20 yrs ago. Works like a brand new everytime. Now who made it for Snap on I no clue.

Just got the same tool in off of Amazon. Just took out the cam bearings on a 350 chevy. Going to do a R and R on my 318 hopefully this weekend. The tool works great! Not cheap but not cheap Chinese crap either. Worth ever penny.

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

-
Back