How to mate A833 to 72 /6 in 1962??

-

John Brayton

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a 1972 /6 for my 1962 Valiant. I want to use a1966 A833 with over-drive. What issues will I need to solve? The Valiant currently has a 1965 /6 with three speed on the floor.

Thanks,
John Brayton

well first off i dont think they had a 833OD in 66...

but you would just need an OD bellhousing (5.125 bore) and then it will bolt on...

well first off i dont think they had a 833OD in 66...

but you would just need an OD bellhousing (5.125 bore) and then it will bolt on...

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure of the tranny build year, it came in the trunk of a parts car I purchased. Is the OD bell-housing different than a /6 bell-housing for non over-drive?

Regards,
John Brayton

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure of the tranny build year, it came in the trunk of a parts car I purchased. Is the OD bell-housing different than a /6 bell-housing for non over-drive?

Regards,
John Brayton

does the trans have an a aluminum case??

and yes the bellhousing is different becasue the non od trans has a smaller IBR than the OD 5.125"...

As mentioned, you need to match the transmission to a bellhousing. If you have the direct drive Autolite starter, I'm not sure if you can use it with the later bellhousing. You may have to change to the Chrysler starter type flywheel but check with someone who has done that swap to be sure. The Z bar linkage will have to be modified to fit the later aluminum bell housing. You'll have to make a custom bracket for the bellhousing end. You'll have to get a different driveshaft with the proper yoke (which is a good thing in your case!) and you'll have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter. You'll also need a '66-7 speedometer cable, and the later gear, and holder for that transmission. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure someone will!

does the trans have an a aluminum case??

and yes the bellhousing is different becasue the non od trans has a smaller IBR than the OD 5.125"...

The trans has an iron case. I guess it's time to ask the really dumb question: is this a real over-drive tranny? The case is iron, the IBR may have been turned down but is clearly the smaller size, and, other than the OD shift knob and the conversation I had with the seller, looks just like the A833 non-over drive unit I have. What markings on the tranny would put the question to rest??

Thanks,
JB

If it's a small bearing retainer, it not an overdrive.

Well, do I feel stupid!! The tranny was included in a parts car purchase and I ASSUMED the seller knew what he was talking about. Clearly I didn't have a clue! I'll still use the tranny (I think I'll take the OD knob off) in the 62 with the 72 /6 engine. I intend to start the swap in October.

Regards,
John Brayton

Attachments

• P5160110.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 129
The short tailshaft A833 was manufactured for A bodies and F bodies.
While all '76 Feather Dusters and Dart Lites used a short tailshaft aluminum case version of the OD833 and it certainly was not all that uncommon in other late A bodies or even F bodies, it doesn't mean all shortshaft OD 833s were. Cast iron case, short tailshaft OD 833s are out there to be found, with or without an aluminum tailshaft housing. With aluminum case 833s suffering the same problem of wallowing out the case around the countergear shaft and eating or wearing out their gearsets that aluminum case Muncie four speeds are renowned for, finding a cast iron case and forgoing the weight savings might prove to be the better move. If your OD gearset isn't alrealy worn out (not likely), stepping up to Jammie Passon's strengthened and bushed replacement aluminum case might be the hot setup, short of getting a complete gearbox from him.
All the OD transmissions used the 308 front bearing and can easily be changed out to a 4.80 bearing retainer by simply bolting one on in place of the 5.125 piece. Turning the 5.125 retainer down to fit a bellhousing with the 4.8 diameter works too, if you happen to have a bellhousing with that size hole.
If the transmission in question has a bearing retainer with the smaller 4.35 diameter, the front bearing is the smaller 307 one, and there is no way it has an OD gearset.

I am doing this swap on a 63 Dart. Ed (805MoparKid) was gracious enough to send me the correct bellhousing for the swap. I am sure you need the same one. I will be glad to get you the casting number if you need it. Also, Brewer's Performance sells everything you "need" to make the clutch fork work. But I'm not going that route. I am going to modify the Z bar instead.

I am doing this swap on a 63 Dart. Ed (805MoparKid) was gracious enough to send me the correct bellhousing for the swap. I am sure you need the same one. I will be glad to get you the casting number if you need it. Also, Brewer's Performance sells everything you "need" to make the clutch fork work. But I'm not going that route. I am going to modify the Z bar instead.

aww thanks SS!

P.S. im picking up a 63 dart:bounce:

-
Back