how to measure driveline angle?

-

71Scamper

Mopar runs thru my veins!
Reaction score
I'm installing a 5 speed stick in my scamp but need to build custom tranny crossmember. I can't get my mind to function right with angles right now to figure out where to position the tranny then build a crossmember. The problem i'm having is the car is on a lift with a front suspension in it. Otherwise I would just put it on the alignment rack and just take measurements from there. Any ideas of where to take measurements and so forth?

One way of looking at it is that there is "no such thing" as "driveshaft" angle. In reality, the only angular relationship that matters is the vertical angle between the crank centerline (transmission mainshaft) and the pinion shaft. Looking "down" vertically at a plan view of the car, the two shafts should either be "in line" or parallel, not at an angle

Horizontally, looking "across" the car, the angle of the two shafts needs to be parallel under acceleration. If there was such a thing as "perfect" suspension, the pinion angle would never change---as the rear axle moved up and down, the mainshaft and pinion would remain parallel.

The one thing you do NOT want is for the two shafts to be actually "inline" so that there is zero shaft angle as well as the two not being offset. This may sound contradictory with the first statement, just my poor wording.

-
Back