How to mount console carpet??

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
I'm buying carpet to put on a console I installed in my Dart, but how does it mount?? I can't seem to figure this out, any help/pics would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

The 3M adhesive that comes in a tube will work too. Factory applied only s like scribble in the fields. Upper edge is tucked/hidden under lip. I used Velcro on my most recent. Forward 2 screws are hidden under the carpet and I can peel the carpet away to service shift indicator bulb, etc...

The 3M adhesive that comes in a tube will work too. Factory applied only s like scribble in the fields. Upper edge is tucked/hidden under lip. I used Velcro on my most recent. Forward 2 screws are hidden under the carpet and I can peel the carpet away to service shift indicator bulb, etc...

The 3m in the pint can that brushes on works really well also.
I felt the spray was a little light duty for carpet and comes loose to easy.

so about Velcro, Its not all created equal. Buy the cheap stuff from Walmarts crafts dept. and you'll do it twice. If you can catch a ez up canopy on its way to the landfill... That's one source of good Velcro for free.
I used the Velcro only half way up left side and across the nose. The rest was glued with black 3M trim adhesive.

3M contact cement. I use the stuff you brush on. Brush it on carpet & console. Let it dry to touch, then put it on. Be careful, wants it on its on.

3M Contact, the brush on is best, spray wont hold as well. I found this out on a headliner ..... Velcro a great idea as sooner or later you will need to get back under that console :)

Not to be taken as argumentative, just saying I wouldn't have liked contact cement when replacing this skirt in the car.
A slower setting glue allows one to smooge the carpet edge under the lip of the console work out how it lays, lift and trim if needed, whatever. Some contact cements are a instant weld like bond.
If the console is on the workbench and I had test fitted, laid targets, etc..? Nah, still not contact cement. LOL Good luck to all

Not to be taken as argumentative, just saying I wouldn't have liked contact cement when replacing this skirt in the car.
A slower setting glue allows one to smooge the carpet edge under the lip of the console work out how it lays, lift and trim if needed, whatever. Some contact cements are a instant weld like bond.
If the console is on the workbench and I had test fitted, laid targets, etc..? Nah, still not contact cement. LOL Good luck to all

I do Landau contact cement adhesive for a lot of things at the shop where I'm learning to do car convertible tops and upholstery. There is an easy trick to contact cement. Letting it dry on both pieces and you get a fast permanent bond right away. But the same pieces coated wet when you stick it together gives you wiggle room to position it and tuck the edges in where you need to. Now you don't get 10 minutes but you do get about 3 or 4 and that should be enough time to re-position or smooth it for most needs.

Last edited:
any progress pictures? i was struggling to install my carpet yesterday with no luck allmost feel like i need to cut it in to 3 pieces for a ''DECENT'' fit...

Velcro seems like a good idea, I'd hate to glue it then need to service the shifter!
I appreciate all the responses!
I used the spray on adhesive, puy it up high, u8 can access the stuff by lifting the carpet, so far so good. (I had the spray adhesive laying around)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And for a little extra, some contact cement. Fit it first and know that it tucks up under the lip. I like the Velcro idea for sure on the front seam!

No progress pics yet, I will upload some when I attempt it though!
It's actually still in the mail, will get it this Friday!
I'll keep yall posted!

3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Takes a little while to set up so you can work with it. Easy to remove down the road if you need to revisit.

Sorry guys, it fell on the back burner as I went into a house purchase. finally settled in, I'm getting ready to dig back into it!
Also just found out our first child is on it's way, so I had better hurry up before I have no more time for the Dart!

-
Back