HOW TO PAINT POLISHED ALUMINUM ENGINE COMPONENTS?

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Not sure if this is the right spot for posting, but here goes................

I have a polished aluminum thermostat housing and want to paint it Hemi orange. What would be the step by step procedure for prepping and painting.

Thanks FABO

Well, here is my $0.02. I am not a professional painter, but I have been painting for 45 years. First, you must understand that aluminum is a metal, so it can be painted. And like all metals, certain rules will apply. You will need some primer on the part. It will need to be a DTM (direct to metal) primer. But before spraying primer, the metal must be prepped. Polished aluminum is smooth. You need to scuff the metal with some sandpaper for mechanical adhesion of the primer. 320 grit will do. Then sand the primer and apply paint.

Last edited:
Blast and immediately paint with self etching primer. Or, you can pay to have the parts anodized and left with no dye or sealer to help with paint adhesion. I've never had trouble getting paint to stick to clean type 3 hardcoat. Type 2 can also take paint well.
Bare aluminum will oxidized almost immediately and so prep must be done just prior to paint and the surface needs to be very thoroughly cleaned just prior to paint as well.
Oven cleaner is easy to diy as it can etch and clean and is fairly easy to wash off. Use hot water, blow dry with compressed air and then paint asap.
I'm no paint pro though, these are just things I've done or have experience with - the anodized parts I've painted are anodized regardless, so it wasn't a special step taken specifically for paint.

Bolt it on and send it.

It will turn a nice oxidized aluminum in no time.

-
Back