How to paint repop 1971 rallye dash lens caps?

-

ricomondo

Reaction score
I will have to paint the center "cap" section on some new repop rallye dash lenses - I practiced on the old ones using a brush/paint and it looks like crap.
Anyone have experience doing this before or a certain method? I have a chrome paint pen for the outer ring, just looking for a method to paint the centers.
Below are the old ones I was practicing on.

Thank you!

9079F63C-EDBB-49B8-B07D-4F6A98270CA9.jpeg

I think the centers can be removed from the lenses with a soldering iron. That would make it a lot easier.

I think the centers can be removed from the lenses with a soldering iron. That would make it a lot easier.
Hmmm... I'll go out to the garage and have a look at the old ones? Not sure how they'd go back on though?
That's a great idea and would make it a lot easier.

You can put them back on the same way. I have used some scrap dash plastic to melt back on the posts If you don’t have enough left.

Were the 71 like 69?

Thin white highlight around Black center? Lots of folks get that wrong Technically, if that matters!

If so Kudo's for trying to do it correctly. JMO!

Do a search on here, lots of info. Spray bombs work, that's what I did. Removed center cap from lens like mentioned above by Mike.

Think I found a post that shows me how to get these painted. Will practice on the old ones first.

-
Back