How to Pick Your own CamShaft better.

-
I Feel overlap is the most over looked camshaft spec, lift is the easiest spec to figure out. I like David Vizards approach, figure the LSA and overlap you want/need and the duration will take care of itself.

Not saying got to follow his formula 100% just like the basic idea of it.

Engine Camshaft Basics - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Overlap is important yes ! I almost forgot to agree

LSA is fixed. You can move the ICL and ECL, not so with the LSA. Once the stick is ground, you have the LSA. No do overs unless it heads back to the grinder.

Overlap is partial a function of the LSA. Wider LSA is less overlap, narrower is more overlap on the exact same spec camshaft.

LSA is fixed. You can move the ICL and ECL, not so with the LSA. Once the stick is ground, you have the LSA. No do overs unless it heads back to the grinder.

Overlap is partial a function of the LSA. Wider LSA is less overlap, narrower is more overlap on the exact same spec camshaft.

Just mean if say I wanted a new cam it would be 108 with .500 ish lift and 60-70 overlap so I'd look at all the cams that fit that, then decide on what I thought was the best choice.

i always picked the one that sounded right... and then went one smaller.. so far all have been great doing it that way

I try and understand as much of this as i can.............
But still rely on someone smarter/knowledge, then me, to pick my cam.

If i had the time and money to pick a half a dozen cams and try them out......I'm sure i could understand it all much better.

That’s what I did in the pre internet days.

I Feel overlap is the most over looked camshaft spec, lift is the easiest spec to figure out. I like David Vizards approach, figure the LSA and overlap you want/need and the duration will take care of itself.

Not saying got to follow his formula 100% just like the basic idea of it.

Engine Camshaft Basics - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Ive spent serious Blowvid aka Covid hours watching Vizard videos. That man definitely has decades of current to this day no BS information. One of many Way ahead of his time. Not bad at all! ANY accurate information is appreciated! Always learning = moving forward.

-
Back